dash speaker help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dash speaker help please

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #1
echoduckjr.

dash speaker help please

i have a pair of pioneer dash speakers 4x6 i ordered from crutchfield for my 1994 yj.. after an hour or so of throwing things i finally got the passenger side installed. now im on the driver side and i've been messing with it for an hour and cant seem to get the top two screws out of the old speaker. crutchfield's instructions dont help much so i was asking for some help, if anyonbe has done it before, or knows how, can you let me in on how to do it before i just take it to a mechanic and have him install the driver side speaker??

thanks in advance...

echoduckjr. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
coonass

patience grasshopper..small hands help the most!!!
They are a PITA, but grab a beer and head back out to the garage and try again. mine took a while as well.
coonass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Mr YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try searching, this has been discussed so many times.
92 YJ 2.5L 5sp manual trans. 4" lift with 33 X 12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja claws.
Rockhard cage, and SBC swap. Work in Progress
Mr YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
SWAMPED
1994 YJ Wrangler 

did you take the dash pieces around the speed-o and the steering column off? that gives you a lot of extra room to move. and when you put your new ones in uy some wing nuts cause thenyou dont have to get a wrench i their ;-). thats what i did. and yes it really sux doing this job but when you are going 60 mph you will be very happy because you can actually hear your radio :-)!
SWAMPED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
Canuck_Guy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

drop the windshield... remove the bolts holding the dash in place and this is an easy job 1 hour tops
Canuck_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
shinigami
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i feel lucky, i got both speakers put in in just 30 min, 20 min to the drivers side.
yes small hands help, (Im 18 and Asian)
i just held the right size socket and hand tightend it.
Id do it for you if you were close.
may the force be with you
I LOL'd
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2007, 02:34 AM   #7
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, this subject gets discussed here in the Tech Forum at least twice a week! It's been beat to death, maybe it's time to beat it to death in the correct forum!! LOL

However, I'll say it again...I didn't even mess with these dern thangs...regardless of what quality speaker you put in there, they will never work as well as speakers mounted in an enclosure, such as a door, the trunk, what have you...so, I simply trotted on down to Best Buy, bought a coupla 4X9 speaker boxes, slapped a coupla decent quality drivers in there, and ... voila! Excellent sound...mounted them on the rear wheel tubs... if ya wanted to get fancy, Tuffy makes a real nice speaker enclosure/tool box setup... I lust after them, however, there are some more practical thangs I am lusting after currently...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
Jeep25
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did mine by using whatever socket fit the screws and was able to turn it loose by hand. Otherwise, a small socket screwdriver should fit in there to loosen them.
Jeep25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I put pioneer in mine a short time ago. Do you also have a little cone speaker in the front? If so pushout your speaker grill, mine hit it and made a tinny sound.

On the one you already installed take some wire and hook one end. Then carefully place into the grill and pull it out. For the other do it b4 installing the speaker, much easier. The bad sound from touvhing the grill made me think the speaker was bad.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Easiest way to do it without dropping the windshield is to remove the e-brake assembly. Two bolts through the firewall and one under the dash and it will free up quite a bit of room. Otherwise, the suggestions made previously in this thread are spot on. Small hands and a socket was how I did it.

Prepare for much knuckle rash though... :
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Slickdaddydax
1987 YJ Wrangler 

when i did it i dropped the windshield and took the dash off. still was not alot of room but it helped. they are a pain in the *** but def worth it. i also have the 6x9s on the wheel wells by the roll bar but with the wind blowing with no top or doors you cant hear them. between the dash speakers and the 2 10" subs behind the rear seat no matter how fast you go the music comes through clear.
Slickdaddydax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.