Dash speaker guide? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dash speaker guide?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dash speaker guide?

I ordered my dash speakers for my 88 yj a couple days ago and I was wondering if anyone has a guide of the installation. I've heard that they are a pain to replace so any help is appreciated.

Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm replacing mine in the course of the full teardown.. so I guess everything is out of the way. Its not too hard, the whole thing can be disassembled in half a day.
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
jbrown73
Live free or die

1989 YJ Wrangler 

PITA is an understatement........

I took my glove box/grab handle out so I could get to the passenger side relatively easy. The driver's side is another story. Without drilling new mounting holes or taking most of the dash apart, you are just going to need to invest in a flex drive extension, deep well socket (not sure of the size at the moment), and a whole lot of patience.

It took me about 1 1/2 hrs to get the 4 nuts off on the driver's side. Some folks may have been able to hit it just right with removing those nuts, but mine sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure you'll find a "guide", most manuals will tell you to pull the dash which can be time consuming, most people prefer to just wiggle and squeeze their hands behind the dash and remove them. On the driver side you will probably have yo remove the Ebrake and loosen the dash bolts.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was easy... I droped the windshild unbolted the dash and slid it up on the stearing collom. Used a long screw driver to hold up the dash.
Now getting too the little nuts that hold the speakers on was kinda hard. But my small ratchet and a deepwell socket got the job done. Took maby 2-3 hours.
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The degree of difficulty in replacing the driver's side dash speaker is directly proportional to the size of your hand. If you've got long, relatively skinny, hands, you can snake your arm behind the speaker and spin off the 5/16" tinnerman nuts without too much of a problem If you've got meat hooks, you're going to need to pull the dash, or at least remove the bolts along the door side of the dash to create some separation.

The passenger's side is a cake walk (comparatively).

The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
jbrown73
Live free or die

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So true!!

Quote:
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
jbrown73
Live free or die

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I seem to remember telling a female that before......

Oh wait, I probably shouldn't have said that.

Quote:
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did this a couple months ago. Spent a couple hours screwing around trying not to have to pull the dash, then 30 minutes pulling the dash and finishing the job....

Fold the windshield down, pull out all the torx bolts AND screws (other writeups I read make no mention of these screws needing to be removed, but mine did) and just slide the dash forward.
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haha thanks for the help. I got a friend that did his not too long ago that can help if I need too.
Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
doclees
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i did it without pulling the dash. Not sure I would do that again. Very frustrating. And if the new speakers have screw holes just a pit off? Well just double that frustration. I'd listen to what rodgers3 has to say on this. If I was buying another old jeep and they said they just changed the speakers I would add $500 to their asking price.
doclees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Bergy1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Originally Posted by Rproject

That's what I tell my wife.
Bergy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown73 View Post
PITA is an understatement........

I took my glove box/grab handle out so I could get to the passenger side relatively easy. The driver's side is another story. Without drilling new mounting holes or taking most of the dash apart, you are just going to need to invest in a flex drive extension, deep well socket (not sure of the size at the moment), and a whole lot of patience.

It took me about 1 1/2 hrs to get the 4 nuts off on the driver's side. Some folks may have been able to hit it just right with removing those nuts, but mine sucked.
I replaced those little nuts with wing nuts, much easier on install

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
doclees
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker View Post

I replaced those little nuts with wing nuts, much easier on install
My Polk audio speakers had a stamped frame with a lip that made wing nuts not possible. That would have been nice!
doclees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclees View Post
My Polk audio speakers had a stamped frame with a lip that made wing nuts not possible. That would have been nice!
Did you get the polk audio plates? If so how do you like them? That's what I am considering.
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.