Dash lights not working dont know what else to do - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dash lights not working dont know what else to do

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 10-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Dash lights not working dont know what else to do

So my jeep had sat outside uncovered in the weather for over a year before i finally got around to rebuild it now im down to the small stuff. The jeep runs great ive drove it out and about a few times dont my dash lights wont work but the gauges are working. Ive read where people say its the dimmer switch and you can bypass it so Ive bypassed it nothing decided to take dimmer switch apart and clean it still nothing. Ive checked the fuses im just lost at what else it could be i dont see any wires that arent left not hooked up or anything that looks strange.

Unread 10-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

more than likely it is one of your tail lights gone bad with a bad ground. I know it sounds funny, but the yjs were built with that as a warning that your tail lights were not working. Have someone check your lights and report back.

Edit: It might also be your light switch, but doubtful. They are pretty heavy duty and don't fail that much. Cheap to replace though.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tail lights are working I installed led flush mount although I have no reverse but that's a different story
Unread 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Pull the gauge assembly out and clean the bulb socket contacts on the PC membrane. While you have it out, stick all new bulbs in it.
Unread 10-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Already have cleaned the contacts ive checked some of the bulbs and none seem to be blown.
Unread 10-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #6
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

"The back light circuit chase".....
According to the schematic here's how it should work.
This is probably on the engine side of the fire wall. Green fuse able link hot at all times feeds a red wire.
I'm guessing a bit here but I'd imagine the red wire goes through the fire wall block to get into the cabin/dash area.
Red wire is split in to 2 branches.
One side feeds the headlight switch directly.
The other side feeds fuse #8 in the fuse block. It's a 20A fuse. It comes out of the fuse block red/black into the headlight switch.
>>>If you have running lights and head lights, marker lights and brake lights you can probably eliminate that much of the circuit.<<<<<
Out of the head light switch is a blue wire. It feeds the rheostat that feeds the dash lights. ( as well as most of the parking, signal, interior and brake lights )
Out of the rheostat switch ( the dimmer control ) there is a pink/orange wire the goes back to the fuse block that feeds fuse #10 5A lower left hand side of the block.
It comes out of the block as an orange/black wire to the gages ( and the rest of the dash cluster, heating and meters).
The Meter board uses a black wire for ground.

Do you have lights on the heater controls, tac or speedo? If yes then you can skip the fuse check.

Check fuses 8 and 10. If they are good then you need a volt meter or light probe ( looks like an ice pick with a bulb in it) to see where in the path you've lost continuity.

If you have good fuses then you'll want to see if you have power at the meter board. With the lights on check to see if you have voltage on the orange /black wire going to the back of the meter board.

If you have voltage there then you may have a bad meter circuit board. They can be fixed but you need to find the brake in the trace.
If you don't have voltage there you'll need to work your way back through the circuit till you find the brake or faulty part.
Gausswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 03:36 AM   #7
JMickey
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'll also add, check for grounds. Checking fuses and power wires are good, but don't neglect checking grounds.
JMickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If no lights including speedo are working than it's either the dimmer or the feed from it. Check the voltage at that point.

Worst case, you can simply tap into the taillight lead and run them at full brightness. No one really needs a dimmer in a Jeep

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 03:53 AM   #9
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMickey View Post
I'll also add, check for grounds. Checking fuses and power wires are good, but don't neglect checking grounds.
In this case ( and the way I'm having him trouble shoot ) if there was bad ground the meters wouldn't work correctly and that was not a reported symptom. Although there could be a bad ground on the meter circuit board for just the illumination ( but not likely since it's all the lights and none of the meters) it's self but that isn't a general ground fault in the same way most grounding problems are solved on a jeep.
Unread 10-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. Im going to try and check some of it out tonight. Also i do not have any lights on my speedo, rpm nor on the heater controls. The dimmer switch will turn on the floorboard lights though.
Unread 10-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bck4more View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Im going to try and check some of it out tonight. Also i do not have any lights on my speedo, rpm nor on the heater controls. The dimmer switch will turn on the floorboard lights though.
The dimmer switch is 2 parts in one housing. A dimmer for the dash lights and switch for the interior lights. Which makes it a good place to start since you say the fuses are good.

They are actually discrete circuits. The black is a ground, the black /white goes to the interior lamps and should be hot all the time. The switch just provides the path to ground to turn on the lights.
The blue wire provides the power for the dash lights when the headlight s/w is on. The pink/orange feeds the fuse block>dash lights. You can just jumper them to bypass the rheostat to see if it's bad.
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have already cut the 2 outside wires and wired them together to bypass but still no change then I pull it apart and cleaned it to pretty much looking like new
Unread 10-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have already cut the 2 outside wires and wired them together to bypass but still no change then I pull it apart and cleaned it to pretty much looking like new
Do you have power on the blue wire? Do the head lights work?
Unread 10-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well i started going through the steps that Gausswave had listed and got to rechecking the fuses again and chose to replace them and the #10 5A lower left hand side of the block didnt show that it was blown but i put in a new in and NOW I HAVE DASH LIGHTS. cant believe thats what it was. Thanks for the help guys
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well i started going through the steps that Gausswave had listed and got to rechecking the fuses again and chose to replace them and the #10 5A lower left hand side of the block didnt show that it was blown but i put in a new in and NOW I HAVE DASH LIGHTS. cant believe thats what it was. Thanks for the help guys
Well as much as I love an easy fix I'd be worried about the rest of the terminals in the fuse block. Given the open air exposure I'd be concerned about corrosion. Check the fuse to see if it is really blown. They don't usually just blow at random. Do a cursory check of the wires at least to see if you can find an intermittent short some where.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.