Dash indicator lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dash indicator lights

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dash indicator lights

The PO of my Jeep removed a bunch of the dash indicator lights (the lights above the steering column- turn signals, hazard, shift, high beam, etc..). I'm trying to replace them all and get everything working the way it should, but all I can find at local auto parts stores are the bulbs. I'm having a problem locating the small gray holders for the bulbs that twist lock into the panel- those are what I'm missing.

If anyone can lend me some advice on where to go to find them that would be great. I'm trying to avoid the dealership (it's a 25 min. drive from the house and they're expensive to say the least). I'm not wanting to switch to LED's or anything (I know some manufacturers make the LED replacements); I want to stay with the incandescent bulbs for now.

Thanks ,

Unread 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to find something here.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

i got mine from a junk yard
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeepr View Post
i got mine from a junk yard
I've been checking online and I've found some of the gauge support/bezels on Craigslist and eBay. I may end up going that route and just taking the bulb holders out of the bezel. I'll call some junkyards tomorrow, but every YJ I've ever seen at a yard is always stripped down to the body and frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
You should be able to find something here.
Thanks for the help, but I'm trying to stay away from LED's right now. I like the low glow that the incandescent bulbs give off. I may end up switching to the LED's later on down the road though. I would just rather do them all at once, so all the lights look the same.
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dorman Motormite 85835 Electrical, Electrical - Sockets - Lighting - 1 Wire (2 Pack) at OutdoorPros.com

Dorman part # 85835
PC194 comes to mind also. I found mine at an autozone but I have seen them at carquests and napa also

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
I've been checking online and I've found some of the gauge support/bezels on Craigslist and eBay. I may end up going that route and just taking the bulb holders out of the bezel. I'll call some junkyards tomorrow, but every YJ I've ever seen at a yard is always stripped down to the body and frame.

Thanks for the help, but I'm trying to stay away from LED's right now. I like the low glow that the incandescent bulbs give off. I may end up switching to the LED's later on down the road though. I would just rather do them all at once, so all the lights look the same.
Around here, NAPA has the incandescent variety with and without the plastic ends - if all else fails, you could buy them from a dealership. I don't think you'd save a bunch getting them from a junkyard - I prefer knowing that the lightbulbs work, so I get new ones. LEDs will outlive the jeep if you're interested in longevity.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
Dorman Motormite 85835 Electrical, Electrical - Sockets - Lighting - 1 Wire (2 Pack) at OutdoorPros.com

Dorman part # 85835
PC194 comes to mind also. I found mine at an autozone but I have seen them at carquests and napa also
Thanks for the help,

Were the bulbs with the plastic bases at Autozone on the isle? I checked Autozone and Pep Boys yesterday, and neither had them in the light bulb section. They had the bulbs, but not the bases.

Did you have to order them or get them from the parts area behind the counter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
Around here, NAPA has the incandescent variety with and without the plastic ends - if all else fails, you could buy them from a dealership. I don't think you'd save a bunch getting them from a junkyard - I prefer knowing that the lightbulbs work, so I get new ones. LEDs will outlive the jeep if you're interested in longevity.
I'll check NAPA tomorrow. It's a bit of a drive, but if they have them it will be worth it.

And I understand the longevity and brightness that LED's offer, but I want to stick with the incandescent bulbs for now.
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
Thanks for the help,

Were the bulbs with the plastic bases at Autozone on the isle? I checked Autozone and Pep Boys yesterday, and neither had them in the light bulb section. They had the bulbs, but not the bases.

Did you have to order them or get them from the parts area behind the counter?

The ones at autozone were out in the asile out front with the "help" items.

They were also available to order online from their site after I had the dorman part number.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
The ones at autozone were out in the asile out front with the "help" items.

They were also available to order online from their site after I had the dorman part number.

Thanks for the help, but I went ahead and got a whole indicator light bezel assembly off of eBay. It has six bulbs, so I'll have enough for now.
Unread 01-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Jprevette
1995 YJ Wrangler 

same problem on my 95 wrangler and my brother stopped by to help. He had several of the grey twist in light holders and bulbs but they were from a 78 ford f-150 dash. They fit and work great. He got them from pull-a-part.
Jprevette is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.