Darn new catalytic converter fits bad.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Darn new catalytic converter fits bad..

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Darn new catalytic converter fits bad..

Bought this new converter to replace my damaged one but the 'in' pipe fits really sloppy on the down pipe that comes right from the motor... This is a 'bolt' on converter and it almost seems that one thickness of pipe could almost fit in between the two to snug things up.. Weird I just got this new from Qtec along with the new head/down pipe from Qtec..

Magnaflow 23221 - MAGNAFLOW Performance Direct Fit Catalytic Converter for 93-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ with 4.0L & 2.5L Engines - Quadratec

Original Replacement Parts 52018176AA - Head Pipe for 93-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ with 4.0L - Quadratec

Unread 07-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

I bought the EXACT same parts, and am having the exact same issue, I am just going to take it off and have a co-worker weld it instead of using clamps, I think that is our only option. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one with that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Uuuggghhh!!!! I wish they would work for what they say it works for... Damn..

The only other thing for a home garage with no welder is to take a short section of pipe that is the inbetween diameter and fit it in between but that might be a needle in a haystack. Maybe an old style steel Stroh's beer can?
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

You can take out the cat, and the head pipe, and take it down to a local exhaust shop, or even a machine shop, and I bet you could get it welded for pretty cheap.

Quote:
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Yeah, looks like the best thing to do... Make sure you have the converter marked (sharpie?) as to how it is clocked on the other pipe.. Otherwise it might be at funky angle and hit the underside creating a bad fit.. I am just mad that they are not perfect together.. What the &^$*&*$(@))))%$@!!_()!!!!f is up with the converter company??
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Alot of guys here are running them, so a bad run of them maybe? Ours are the first complaints that I have seen on this.

Quote:
Unread 07-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

do they fit the tail pipe end?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
do they fit the tail pipe end?
The head-pipe end is a little loose, the muffler end fits fine.

Quote:
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get it on there temporarily to just make it to a muffler shop they would probably weld it all up real cheap....this would be better than taking just the parts to them for the fact after its welded off the Jeep it may not fit well.

About 2 years ago we went down to Fla where my cousin is based in the Air Force for Thanksgiving in the Jeep and my exhaust cracked and cut loose right before the cat converter,since my cuz had no welding gear,i took it to a local muffler shop and they welded it up for a whopping 20.00 for me.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was the same....almost a 1/4 gap until the taper end....I stuffed it in and threw the clamp on...been tight with no leaks....

I might stuff the gap with some JB weld..
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Did anyone get the Dynomax catback setup? In the photos it shows the offset pipe being the in pipe but the only way possible to mount this is to have the centered pipe as the in pipe and the offset as the out pipe.. Does it matter which way this goes?
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drespecki View Post
Did anyone get the Dynomax catback setup? In the photos it shows the offset pipe being the in pipe but the only way possible to mount this is to have the centered pipe as the in pipe and the offset as the out pipe.. Does it matter which way this goes?
I installed it...The offset goes to the rear..ie tailpipe...

Disclaimer...(I think..Don't have the jeep with me right now)
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

I contacted Magnaflow today and the told me to do a warranty exchange on the cat...They asked for the date of manufacture on the box..maybe they can track down what is wrong. I hope the new one I get is the proper diameter inlet. All this down time is killing me, my Jeep is torn apart in the garage with the skid plate off and no exhaust..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.