Dangerous Rust - Any ideas? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dangerous Rust - Any ideas?

Well, I just finished a whole bunch of mods to my 1994 YJ after having it sit in a shed for maybe 2-3 years. New lift, new greasable shackles, upgrade from manual to power steering, and a few others.

So, I take it out and drive it some this weekend to work the bugs out. Get it home and am unbuckling my son and the seat belt feels funny. So, the next day I look a little closer and the whole section where the seat belt mounts to the body has rusted out on the passenger side. NOT SAFE at this point. Driver's side is better but needs replaced as well.

Does anybody have any ideas? I know I will need to cut and weld at some point, but I am not even sure if you can buy that part of a tub to weld in. Will prolly be putting new floors in too while I am at it I suppose. Better start saving for a welder too.

Needles to say I am bummed - I knew there was some rust in the quarters but no idea it was this bad. Now I am out of commission for the summer it seems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 12:08 PM
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clush View Post
Well, I just finished a whole bunch of mods to my 1994 YJ after having it sit in a shed for maybe 2-3 years. New lift, new greasable shackles, upgrade from manual to power steering, and a few others.

So, I take it out and drive it some this weekend to work the bugs out. Get it home and am unbuckling my son and the seat belt feels funny. So, the next day I look a little closer and the whole section where the seat belt mounts to the body has rusted out on the passenger side. NOT SAFE at this point. Driver's side is better but needs replaced as well.

Does anybody have any ideas? I know I will need to cut and weld at some point, but I am not even sure if you can buy that part of a tub to weld in. Will prolly be putting new floors in too while I am at it I suppose. Better start saving for a welder too.

Needles to say I am bummed - I knew there was some rust in the quarters but no idea it was this bad. Now I am out of commission for the summer it seems.

If you can't do the replacement, It seems like in most states there's a used parts dealer/mechanic that specializes in jeeps. Because all they do is work on jeeps, they're extremely fast, and efficient. Try looking for one of them, see what they think. I know my guy around here would either cut the section of tub (plus a ton of excess) and weld that in place, or just replace the whole tub.

From what it sounds like, and with the area being rather difficult, it may be cheaper (unfortunately) to get a new tub.
post #3 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

there ya go...

about 4 days worth of work ahead of ya...

cant imagine its as bad as mine was...

as for expense I will add, it cost me 10 bucks to get the old hood from a 90s S10 delivered to my door, so that was the sheet metal taken care of, I bought 3 cut off wheels, and 2 grinding wheels, borrowed a sawzall, and a welder and someone to run the welder, that cost me a case of beers...

so all told when Im done I got 10 bucks into the hood for scarp metal, a case of beer to the welder and welder guy, and 60 bucks on the new family bar.. and I almost done, should be all buttoned up tonight

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers

Last edited by giggityjeeper; 06-21-2010 at 01:20 PM.

post #4 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

wow thanks alot giggityjeeper! i can't weld right now but it looks like I am gonna learn how. It is something I always wanted to learn about anyway. I will need to add the cost of a welder to what you suggested above. Or maybe I can find someone around here to help out. What kind of welder did you use for your project?

Do you feel OK about how the seat belt is fastened down now? That is my biggest concern. If it was just a hole in the floor I might not even worry about it till summer/fall was over.

Oh yeah what are you doing to the family bar? Or did you have the older style and are just upgrading to a family style bar?
post #5 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 02:07 PM
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was about to say. Someone else had that same problem.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM
st2joker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you can buy the replacement panels on jc whitney fo about $60 each side

88 yj 350 chevy ba10 stock axles, 9" with a locker and a 44 front both with 4.10 gears waiting to go in. new stock springs 1.5 shackles tj flares, 33x12.5x15 coopers 15x8 rims
if you cant have fun, why bother
post #7 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 03:43 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by st2joker View Post
you can buy the replacement panels on jc whitney fo about $60 each side
or make them for $3.. really its not har to bend sheet metal to fit, my gues even a boughtpanel will need tweaking to fit right...

I did not do the welding, a friend did, jus ta wire feed, I will find out hte perticulars on it...

as for the seat belt, if It comes out of there, well good luck, its ****ing solid.... we welded the plate behind the panel, and welded the nut to the plate, its not going anywhere, to give ya an idea the factory plate used was like not even 1/8 thickness, we used almost 1/2 plate, as for the floor mount, I will do the same, weld a plate to the bottom and a nut to that, and bolt thru.... its not going nowhere...

the family bar.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

I bought a falily style last year and never put it in, the swap is what prompted me to fix the floor, when I took tha bar out it was bad..

I just cut the sprot bar and am using it to upgrae the family bar, I will tie in 2 more pieces on the top ang go out to the rear where it bends to go down, and should have enough to add a piece across the top of the windsheild, I will have to buy a little bit of tubing or depending I may just grab another family bar and cut to fit, I can get the complete rear of the family bar from the wrecker for like 50 bucks, prolly the whole cage for 70... just use those pieces.

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #8 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i always thought it would be better to have the bar go to the frame instead of the body. I might try to do something with the bar while I am messing with the floor.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i always thought it would be better to have the bar go to the frame instead of the body. I might try to do something with the bar while I am messing with the floor.
ya Im looking at a way to tie into the fram as well, but I dont do much for Hardcore wheeling, mostly mud/trails here, not many rocks, some decent hill climbs, but nothing really bad...

this is more of a just in case....

post #10 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 PM
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Learn from Rusty's experience as detailed here.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...roblem-395594/
post #11 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM
BIGHEEP
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can check out my repair as well. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...igheep-534340/

1981 Scrambler, Vortec 350,4L60e,D300, Currie 9" F&R
19xx YJ/CJ/TJ/XJ/Waggy thing 4.0L H.O., AW4,
NP231 w/HD SYE,D44 locked/D44 w/LSD,4.09 gears
Build thread

North East Willy Jeep Organization

post #12 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 PM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I'm like you, I really want to learn how to weld as well. I have read every thread listed here before and I love the things these guys can do with a weld! I can't afford a new one right now though. I do agree though, the idea of using a hood, was incredibly smart and thrifty! BTW, you can rent welders too(not the person, lol).

First Jeep was an 1989 YJ, 6 cylinder 4.2L , 258. Nuttered and TeamRushed, Weber 38 DGES, Now, I'm venturing into the world of Grand Cherokees
post #13 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everybody for the posts and suggestions. I feel a little better about doing the project now. The only part I am a little worried about would be the seatbelt mounts, but I am sure I can get a little more confidence about that as I read thru the threads.

Clint
post #14 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 07:51 AM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks everybody for the posts and suggestions. I feel a little better about doing the project now. The only part I am a little worried about would be the seatbelt mounts, but I am sure I can get a little more confidence about that as I read thru the threads.

Clint
when u get it apart and see what was holding them, you can only make it batter.

post #15 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys do you all think this welder would work for this project? It seems like it would. I will probably buy something like this and practice a little - then tackle the jeep's floor.
Lincoln Electric Weld Pack HD Feed Welder K2188-1 for Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.