dana 60's or something similiar. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dana 60's or something similiar.

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 10-11-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
freak4jeeps

dana 60's or something similiar.

I have a 89yj 4banger manual tranny.

I am looking to swap out the weak 30's for 60's or just something more durable, does anyone know what an 84/85 bronco would have stock..I can get my hands on one for 500 bucks.

And has anyone ever modified an 89 yj to hold a ford v8, the engine in the bronco is practically brand new so if its possible i think this purchase would be a steal.

Other wise im looking for a good drop in to replace the 4, with at least a 6 any suggestions, and are the 4 cyl's and 6 cyl's YJ's the same size so would it be possible to just drop in a 6 from another jeep.

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the heavy modifying of jeeps but have read alot of tech and forums that seem to recommend not doing heavy mudding/ rock crawling with the stock 30's, so i havent gone nutz on the trails but would love to try.

freak4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think the 84-85 Bronco had D44s but I could be wrong. The 4 and 6cyl Jeep engines are not at all similar, it would be much more worth while to do a V8 swap. A good person to ask is Naekid.
RCHavok797 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2002, 05:02 PM   #3
freak4jeeps

I should have justified what i ment by similiar, I ment engine compartments, is the 4cyl, big enough to hold a 6cyl, i realize there will be alot of modifying to do, sorry for not saying that before
freak4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2002, 05:32 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by RCHavok797
I think the 84-85 Bronco had D44s but I could be wrong. The 4 and 6cyl Jeep engines are not at all similar, it would be much more worth while to do a V8 swap. A good person to ask is Naekid.
Actually, I know more about Chevy than Ford .. but if a Chevy block fits under the hood of a Jeep, the Ford 351 could as well.

As far as the axles go, the rear axle on the Ford is a normal beam axle (good) and I think that in the 80's Ford put their twin-beam (read: IFS) onto the trucks (bad) ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2002, 11:26 PM   #5
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

v8wrangleridaho did a ford brinco swap... mustang engine and bronco trans and tcase i think... not sure... if hes around here hed be good to ask on the ford stuff...
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2002, 11:57 PM   #6
bigblueyj

Re: dana 60's or something similiar.

Quote:
Originally posted by freak4jeeps
I have a 89yj 4banger manual tranny.

I am looking to swap out the weak 30's for 60's or just something more durable, does anyone know what an 84/85 bronco would have stock..I can get my hands on one for 500 bucks.

And has anyone ever modified an 89 yj to hold a ford v8, the engine in the bronco is practically brand new so if its possible i think this purchase would be a steal.

Other wise im looking for a good drop in to replace the 4, with at least a 6 any suggestions, and are the 4 cyl's and 6 cyl's YJ's the same size so would it be possible to just drop in a 6 from another jeep.

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the heavy modifying of jeeps but have read alot of tech and forums that seem to recommend not doing heavy mudding/ rock crawling with the stock 30's, so i havent gone nutz on the trails but would love to try.
go to dark side be fore warned tho they dont like newbie so do a search www.pirate4x4.com/forum
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.