dana 60's or something similiar. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dana 60's or something similiar.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-11-2002, 03:15 PM   #1
freak4jeeps

dana 60's or something similiar.

I have a 89yj 4banger manual tranny.

I am looking to swap out the weak 30's for 60's or just something more durable, does anyone know what an 84/85 bronco would have stock..I can get my hands on one for 500 bucks.

And has anyone ever modified an 89 yj to hold a ford v8, the engine in the bronco is practically brand new so if its possible i think this purchase would be a steal.

Other wise im looking for a good drop in to replace the 4, with at least a 6 any suggestions, and are the 4 cyl's and 6 cyl's YJ's the same size so would it be possible to just drop in a 6 from another jeep.

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the heavy modifying of jeeps but have read alot of tech and forums that seem to recommend not doing heavy mudding/ rock crawling with the stock 30's, so i havent gone nutz on the trails but would love to try.

freak4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 03:20 PM   #2
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think the 84-85 Bronco had D44s but I could be wrong. The 4 and 6cyl Jeep engines are not at all similar, it would be much more worth while to do a V8 swap. A good person to ask is Naekid.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 04:02 PM   #3
freak4jeeps

I should have justified what i ment by similiar, I ment engine compartments, is the 4cyl, big enough to hold a 6cyl, i realize there will be alot of modifying to do, sorry for not saying that before
freak4jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 04:32 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by RCHavok797
I think the 84-85 Bronco had D44s but I could be wrong. The 4 and 6cyl Jeep engines are not at all similar, it would be much more worth while to do a V8 swap. A good person to ask is Naekid.
Actually, I know more about Chevy than Ford .. but if a Chevy block fits under the hood of a Jeep, the Ford 351 could as well.

As far as the axles go, the rear axle on the Ford is a normal beam axle (good) and I think that in the 80's Ford put their twin-beam (read: IFS) onto the trucks (bad) ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 10:26 PM   #5
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

v8wrangleridaho did a ford brinco swap... mustang engine and bronco trans and tcase i think... not sure... if hes around here hed be good to ask on the ford stuff...
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 10:57 PM   #6
bigblueyj

Re: dana 60's or something similiar.

Quote:
Originally posted by freak4jeeps
I have a 89yj 4banger manual tranny.

I am looking to swap out the weak 30's for 60's or just something more durable, does anyone know what an 84/85 bronco would have stock..I can get my hands on one for 500 bucks.

And has anyone ever modified an 89 yj to hold a ford v8, the engine in the bronco is practically brand new so if its possible i think this purchase would be a steal.

Other wise im looking for a good drop in to replace the 4, with at least a 6 any suggestions, and are the 4 cyl's and 6 cyl's YJ's the same size so would it be possible to just drop in a 6 from another jeep.

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the heavy modifying of jeeps but have read alot of tech and forums that seem to recommend not doing heavy mudding/ rock crawling with the stock 30's, so i havent gone nutz on the trails but would love to try.
go to dark side be fore warned tho they dont like newbie so do a search www.pirate4x4.com/forum
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.