Dana 44 question??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 question???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 10-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
airborneyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 44 question???

While I know that there are opposing opinions regarding the Dana 44 vs. the Ford 8.8, and my original plan was to go with the 8.8 in preparation for an engine swap down the road. I have a line on a Dana 44 rear end out of a 74 Waggy for $75. Now before anyone asks, no I haven't seen it yet, not sure what gears, or condition. I'm going to look at it tonight or tomorrow to see if it is going to be worth swapping out my old tired tirdythree...
Questions
1. How far off are the spring perches? Am I going to have to relocate?
2. How difficult will it be to upgrade to disk breaks, can it be done on this axel?

While I still have some research to do, I was hoping that someone maybe able to help shed some light on on this for me.
Currently my 94 YJ is my DD, mostly stock with the exception of sitting on a set of 32" Falkland Rocky Mountains and a 4" rough country lift.
3.07 gears for now, looking at 3.73 or 4.10s when I swap axels and go to the V8.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

airborneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

That 44 will need a gear change. With a 8.8 you can find any gears just about that you will need.
To me that is a real big bonus and reason #1 to get a 8.8.
But if you swapping gears in both diffs then its a moot point and the 44 is a good axle
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
StanF
Web Wheeler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does the 44 match your front axle wheel stud spacing? If not, you'll have to address it somehow...
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
warthog312
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check the bolt pattern on the 44, you're almost certainly going to have to run adaptors back to 5x4.5 or get a different set of wheels. In your situation where you plan on regearing and doing a V8 swap, I would suggest finding a donor vehicle and taking both front and rear axles. Something like a 44/60 combo. It may sound like overkill, and to some extent it is, but rather than regearing the rear, matching the bolt pattern, then pouring money into the front to make it hold the new engine, I would grab a full size set of axles and just run with it. Shoot, that's what I should have done anyway...
Unread 10-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
airborneyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly I've been looking for a full donor vehicle that would provide everything I need, but cash flow is not what it used to be.... I was originally looking for an explorer, so I could get everything from the 8.8 w/disks, 5.0 and all needed electronics / etc. but this D44 kinda fell into my lap, one of those friend of a friend deals, and well it's only $75... Still not sure if I'm gonna go for it, just looking at options before going the wrong direction

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 10-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneyj
Honestly I've been looking for a full donor vehicle that would provide everything I need, but cash flow is not what it used to be.... I was originally looking for an explorer, so I could get everything from the 8.8 w/disks, 5.0 and all needed electronics / etc. but this D44 kinda fell into my lap, one of those friend of a friend deals, and well it's only $75... Still not sure if I'm gonna go for it, just looking at options before going the wrong direction Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Your gonna need 2 wheels or custom shafts since the waggys are 6 on 5.5 So plan on 2 spare tires. You'll have todo the same amount of work to get either installed in your jeep. And disk on a d44 are gonna set ya back more money.

Imo 8.8 would be a better deal cause same bolt pattern so you won't need custom shafts or different wheels. And it already has disk.
Unread 02-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
airborneyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so the $75 D44 was a bust... Pumkin was cracked in three places and it turned out it wasn't from a Waggy.. Regardless looks like I'm back in the market for either a 95-01 Explorer with the 5.0 or its time to start looking at a SBC swap... With who knows what under the rear end....

from my surgically attached iPad
Unread 02-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to add a comment to the original question:

As far as I can tell, people choose the Ford 8.8 over the Dana 44 because of availability and price. Ford 8.8s are more plentiful which drives down junkyard prices, whereas Dana 44s are more rare.

If you check out ECGS, you can choose either, but the Dana 44 is much more expensive than the Ford 8.8.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would take a 8.8 over a 44 any day. Well, rear axle that is.
Unread 02-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I would take a 8.8 over a 44 any day. Well, rear axle that is.
Quoted for truth.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

With 32's you'll probably get by just fine on the stock axle. That's the same exact tire size, gear combo I had on mine. It worked well enough. Unless you are really just wanting to upgrade for the sake of doing it. It's not cheap though.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
airborneyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if I said it before, but the main reason I want to swap the rear out is for a V8 conversion either at the same time or near future...

from my surgically attached iPad
Unread 02-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #13
JohnnyZJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

a free axle or dirt cheap axle is probably the absolute worst reason to do a swap. you will end up spending 3x what you would on an 8.8

an 8.8 for a budget minded wheeler is the only option. sambe bolt pattern, works great to 35s, can utilize the front diff still and be swapped and running in an afternoon. you can find it in 4.10 and a lot of other common stock jeep gear ratios to not worry about a gear swap. buy a stock 4cyl front diff and you have 4.10s and its decent with 35s. i've done it, you can't do it cheaper unless you are using inferior parts/components (like hacking off old mounts and reusing them, no lockers etc)
strengthwise, the 8.8 have bigger axleshafts than a d60 (stock) weak links are the carrier and housing which are easily fixed by welding and installing a locker.
my whole cost (up here in canada to don't forget)
200$ for diff with 4.10s and discs
300$ locker
50$ open carrier
50$ new brakes
150$ ruffstuff swap kit
850$ approximately and I have a locked and ready to go 8.8. thats pretty cheap .
nothing beats an 8.8 for 'swapped in cost' seems to be a lot of threads on these 'cheap D44s' and frankly they are a waste of time. in the rear OR the front. but thats another discussion.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" toyos.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
Nickolas
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know why people are implying Dana 44s are rare, they're one of the most common axles out there having been in use from the 1940's and still being put into vehicles today. You can find dozens of them (front and rear) in pretty much any junkyard in the US.

My experience with full size GM 4x4 trucks proved to me that the D44 is extremely cost efficient, adaptable, and very strong.

The 8.8 seems better in general for Wranglers, but lets not sell the venerable D44 short. If you can get a good one for cheap then go for it.
Nickolas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #15
Solidkm
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ
a free axle or dirt cheap axle is probably the absolute worst reason to do a swap. you will end up spending 3x what you would on an 8.8 an 8.8 for a budget minded wheeler is the only option. sambe bolt pattern, works great to 35s, can utilize the front diff still and be swapped and running in an afternoon. you can find it in 4.10 and a lot of other common stock jeep gear ratios to not worry about a gear swap. buy a stock 4cyl front diff and you have 4.10s and its decent with 35s. i've done it, you can't do it cheaper unless you are using inferior parts/components (like hacking off old mounts and reusing them, no lockers etc) strengthwise, the 8.8 have bigger axleshafts than a d60 (stock) weak links are the carrier and housing which are easily fixed by welding and installing a locker. my whole cost (up here in canada to don't forget) 200$ for diff with 4.10s and discs 300$ locker 50$ open carrier 50$ new brakes 150$ ruffstuff swap kit 850$ approximately and I have a locked and ready to go 8.8. thats pretty cheap . nothing beats an 8.8 for 'swapped in cost' seems to be a lot of threads on these 'cheap D44s' and frankly they are a waste of time. in the rear OR the front. but thats another discussion.
Well said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.