Dana 44 and GM 14 bolt on my YJ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 and GM 14 bolt on my YJ??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
rhbeardsworth
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 44 and GM 14 bolt on my YJ??

I've been searching craigslist for some new parts for my Jeep and stumbled across a guy selling his GM 14 bolt full-floating rear end paired with a Dana 44 front end. They both have 4.10 gears and i'm not sure what kind of differential. It seems like a good deal- my question is: can I fit these under my Jeep without too much difficulty or mods?

I plan to do a 4" lift soon and put on 33 or 35" tires so I hope this project won't interfere with those plans. If anyone has done anything similar to this please let me know.

Also, how much will this widen the Jeep's stance? I want to make it a bulletproof Jeep but also one that's safe on the road so I hope it will widen it out, but not too much that it looks plain ridiculous.

Here's a link to the listing of what I found - GM 14 Bolt and Dana 44 8-lug Rear Ends. 4.10 gears

Any input is appreciated as this would be my first major mod to my Jeep (and any vehicle in general for that matter).

rhbeardsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

The GM 44 will be a passanger side dif, your jeep currently has a driver side dif, so you'll need to swap out your T-case for one that is passanger side drop.
the axles will be quite a bit wider than what you have now, but with wheels with enough backspacing, you should still be able to cover the tires with flares. However, with the wheels backspaced (to keep the width down a bit), the hubs of the axles will probably stick out past the tires.
Also, the 14 bolt dif is rather large, if you are planning on using it off road, you might want to consider larger tires. With tires that small, you're going to be catching the 14bolt dif on all kinds of stuff. If you are set on swapping axles, you might want to wait on the lift. In most cases, when axles are swapped, a spring over conversion is also done, which will lift the jeep around 5".
If you search around a little, there are plenty of guys that have put this axle combo into their jeeps, but most are not conserned with width, and are running larger tires.

Last edited by muddy93; 02-09-2010 at 02:35 PM..
muddy93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

With a 14 bolt on 33's you would have trouble clearing the lines on the road, much less anything on a trail. You may want to go with bigger tires and more lift.

If you only plan on olny 4 inches of lift, I would pass on these axles.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

personaly i think a 14 bolt and a D44 are in two completely different realms as far as strength. so to me it seems like an odd combo. and like said before a 14 bolt with 33's just doesn't work unles you are looking for a street queen. in which case why get a 14 bolt

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
rhbeardsworth
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well i'm looking for something that I can keep as a daily driver but won't break the minute I try to do something out on the trail. That's why I'm wondering- if I did a spring over and put on 35s, would that give the differential enough clearance and still keep it road worthy? Or I was just thinking- because I'm moving the wheels out so far does that enable me to go bigger with the tires and maintain safety. I'd love to have bulletproof axles and clear them on the trail, but not by compromising road safety. How big of tires can I put onto the full size axle but keep it a daily driver?
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the 14 bolt can be shaved alittle. But IMO 37's are about the smallest size i woul run it it. also what are your states laws as far as tire coverage? going full width means you have about 0% tires coverage. that is something else to think about

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if 35's are your only goal, just swap in an 8.8 out of an Explorer 1995 - 2000(1) double check.

Your D30 front will handle it.

Or if you're dead set on D44's, you can look for a 1985-1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (aka Waggy, Grand Waggy or FSJ). Waggy's have an ideal width for swapping into a wrangler, front is driver drop, but you will need to make sure that it is in fact a centered differential in the rear and not the passenger side offset.

You will also need to upgrade to wheels sporting the 6x5.5 bolt pattern, but that is a very, very commonly used bolt pattern so used or aftermarket are abundantly available.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
The GM 44 will be a passenger side dif, your jeep currently has a driver side dif, so you'll need to swap out your T-case for one that is (drivers) Passenger drop.
the axles will be quite a bit wider than what you have now, but with wheels with enough backspacing, you should still be able to cover the tires with flares. However, with the wheels backspaced (to keep the width down a bit), the hubs of the axles will probably stick out past the tires.
Also, the 14 bolt dif is rather large, if you are planning on using it off road, you might want to consider larger tires. With tires that small, you're going to be catching the 14bolt dif on all kinds of stuff. If you are set on swapping axles, you might want to wait on the lift. In most cases, when axles are swapped, a spring over conversion is also done, which will lift the jeep around 5".
If you search around a little, there are plenty of guys that have put this axle combo into their jeeps, but most are not concerned with width, and are running larger tires.
edited to reflect passenger vs driver drop on the t-case.

Unread 02-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nichols View Post
the 14 bolt can be shaved alittle. But IMO 37's are about the smallest size i woul run it it. also what are your states laws as far as tire coverage? going full width means you have about 0% tires coverage. that is something else to think about
This can be addressed with the proper offset on the wheel selection. Currently friend has a 1967 Commando that is sporting full width 14 Bolt FF in the rear and a D60 HP in the front running stock dodge 17" 8x5.5 wheels 35x12.50 tires with the stock offset he measures slightly narrower than I do if I recall it was 74" outside to outside of the tires (I would have to measure mine to confirm the true number, but for this instance it is just informational.). This will require 6" flares for nearly full coverage. The front on mine stick out about 1.5" past the flares.

I agree also I would not consider this with anything less than a 35" tire or a 37" tire for the 14 bolt even with the shaved differential.

Edit: I should add, 35's are only on while finishing this project (final dd size will be 37's.), currently in the midst of a LS1/700r4/tcase TBD (stak/atlas???).

Unread 02-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
fattcat69
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Decisions Decisions arrrrrrrgggg

Hey i agree with bone down your dana 30 will last with 33s i have two jeeps one with stock running gear dana 30/35 running 35/12.5/17s and it does fine for mild wheeling and alot of street stuff
My beast has the corp 14 rear and a waggy dana 44 front but im running 38/13/16s and it is a unbalanced set because the dana 44 is not very happy with the 38s so im upgrading to a dana 60 front anyway about your deal either find a high pinion ford dana 44 front and try a ford nine inch rear look for a old bronco then you can run your transfercase and have a nice set of 1/2 ton axles should you want to run 35 or 36" tires in the future
fattcat69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattcat69 View Post
anyway about your deal either find a high pinion ford dana 44 front and try a ford nine inch rear look for a old bronco then you can run your transfercase and have a nice set of 1/2 ton axles should you want to run 35 or 36" tires in the future
yep. you can get a decent 9inch and 44 combo around here for $250 to $1500 depending on their shape. They would do nicely with 35's.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Down View Post
edited to reflect passenger vs driver drop on the t-case.
thanks for the edit I was in a hurry when I typed that.
origional responce has been edited.
Unread 02-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
thanks for the edit I was in a hurry when I typed that.
origional responce has been edited.
I knew what you meant, I just wanted to make sure that the OP and anyone else did as well.

Unread 02-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
rhbeardsworth
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So if you guys pretty much don't think I can run full size axles and be safe on the road an capable on the trails, how do you suggest I locate a good, but smaller axle?
I found a 9" Ford rear end out of an '86 F-250 with 3.50 gears but its 120 miles away...
Unread 02-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbeardsworth View Post
So if you guys pretty much don't think I can run full size axles and be safe on the road an capable on the trails, how do you suggest I locate a good, but smaller axle?
I found a 9" Ford rear end out of an '86 F-250 with 3.50 gears but its 120 miles away...
I listed up other options as well here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...3/#post8858508

You can run full size and be plenty safe also mentioned above there are things that you will need to consider depending on which route you decide to go.

If you go the route of the chevy axles you have listed, you will also need to swap in a different transfer case that will accommodate the passenger side differential.

Read your thread responses carefully, options have been listed as well as additional foresight in regards to what to expect depending on the route you choose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.