Dana 44 / Ford 9 inch Swap into YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 / Ford 9 inch Swap into YJ

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
garr79

Dana 44 / Ford 9 inch Swap into YJ

Hello,

Specs:
1989 YJ w/ 4.2 w/ 5speed peurgot trans. Not sure about the T-Case

I have searched the forum and found a lot of info on how to swap in a Ford 9 in and Dana 44. However, I have not found anything stating how the drive shafts will mount up to the transfer case.

I would like to use the stock transfer case cause I dont want to spend anymore money on the Jeep for now. Can you use a Ford 9 inch and Dana 44 with the stock transfer case? How will they attach? Are the u-joints the same?

Thanks,
Garrett

Unread 06-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the dana 44 should work fine, as it comes with rubicon models...along with the same t-case i believe. not sure about the ford 9. check the FAQ sticky and YJ stock specks sticky about the 44 just to be safe

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

chances are that you're going to need custom drive shafts anyway(at a very least, you'll need the stock ones modified). it should'nt be much more to just have the correct yokes put on the new shafts.
Unread 06-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There are a couple different u joints used on the 9". I do know that the yoke off the early bronco 9" and i believe all broncos did use a 1310. Bolts right up and you get rid of the stupid straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
yjrush
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used the same joints on my D44 conversion, I did have a CV style shaft that had to me shortened a inch due to D44 yoke being longer

2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9L (Tow Rig)
yjrush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr79 View Post
Hello,

Specs:
1989 YJ w/ 4.2 w/ 5speed peurgot trans. Not sure about the T-Case

I have searched the forum and found a lot of info on how to swap in a Ford 9 in and Dana 44. However, I have not found anything stating how the drive shafts will mount up to the transfer case.

I would like to use the stock transfer case cause I dont want to spend anymore money on the Jeep for now. Can you use a Ford 9 inch and Dana 44 with the stock transfer case? How will they attach? Are the u-joints the same?

Thanks,
Garrett

I have a question........... Are we talking about the same rig that is listed in your sig??????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
st2joker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Members 4x4 Gallery | Garrett Rogers
1989 Jeep Wrangler
4.2 w/ Ford MC2100 Carb
TF999 w/ Dana 300 from CJ
Full Size Chevys Locked F/R
35 in Goodyear MTRs
SOA on stock springs
http://www.jolietmudturtles.org/gall..._cw85_ch85.jpg
on this jeep?
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This threads like 2 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.