I found another project. I managed to find a 1978 Ford HP Dana 44 to install. I have wanted to do this for awhile, but until recently just found an axle.
44's are not difficult to come buy. What's difficult to come by is Ford HP44's. Seems every time one comes up....it's gone, or it's too expensive. Why you ask? Drivers side drop, flat top knuckles, 1/2" thick axle tubes and "high pinion"....all in the same axle. Perfect for YJ's and TJ's alike. Anyway's....found one.
So I have decided to do a thread dedicated to this build up and install into my YJ. My plans for the axle are as follows.
1. New bearings, seals, ball joints.
2. Chromo shafts.
3. CTM ujoints.
3. New ring/pinion install with 4.88's
4. ARB locker.
5. Flat tops with high steer arms on both sides.
6. One ton steering setup with DOM tie rod and draglink above the SOA springs.
Obviously, this will be a rather long process. I am by no means rich, so this will be a "piece at a time" project. My hopes are to have it done by spring for a trip to moab. First of May is what I am shooting for. I plan to use "any means necessary" to get the project done....so I imagine it will be done sooner....hopefully.
Back to the task at hand. Here are a few pics of the project.
1. It's a long mofo.....68" WMS-WMS. Haven't decided yet on cutting it down.
2. Drivers side knuckle is already drilled/tapped for a draglink. If I keep the 8 lugs...I'll just drill tap the passenger side and have my flat tops ready to go!
3. Part of the "want" for 77.5-79 ford axles.......1/2" thick axle tubes. Basically the same axle tubes as a dana 60.
Note tube thickness below.