Dana 44 build/install in a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 build/install in a YJ

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Dana 44 build/install in a YJ

Well,

I found another project. I managed to find a 1978 Ford HP Dana 44 to install. I have wanted to do this for awhile, but until recently just found an axle.

44's are not difficult to come buy. What's difficult to come by is Ford HP44's. Seems every time one comes up....it's gone, or it's too expensive. Why you ask? Drivers side drop, flat top knuckles, 1/2" thick axle tubes and "high pinion"....all in the same axle. Perfect for YJ's and TJ's alike. Anyway's....found one.

So I have decided to do a thread dedicated to this build up and install into my YJ. My plans for the axle are as follows.

1. New bearings, seals, ball joints.
2. Chromo shafts.
3. CTM ujoints.
3. New ring/pinion install with 4.88's
4. ARB locker.
5. Flat tops with high steer arms on both sides.
6. One ton steering setup with DOM tie rod and draglink above the SOA springs.

Obviously, this will be a rather long process. I am by no means rich, so this will be a "piece at a time" project. My hopes are to have it done by spring for a trip to moab. First of May is what I am shooting for. I plan to use "any means necessary" to get the project done....so I imagine it will be done sooner....hopefully.

Back to the task at hand. Here are a few pics of the project.

1. It's a long mofo.....68" WMS-WMS. Haven't decided yet on cutting it down.

2. Drivers side knuckle is already drilled/tapped for a draglink. If I keep the 8 lugs...I'll just drill tap the passenger side and have my flat tops ready to go!

3. Part of the "want" for 77.5-79 ford axles.......1/2" thick axle tubes. Basically the same axle tubes as a dana 60. Note tube thickness below.

Unread 12-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
4. ARB locker
not gonna say a word.....except, you will love it!

and get a move on mate, i need that dana 30 steering junk before damn may!!
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
5.0YJ

i was gonna say it looks like a f250 hp44....the dual piston calipers gave it away....i have the same axle in my jeep....how much did you get it for?? i found mine for 150 complete but i rebuilt it all anyways.....i would keep it full width and find a d60 full width.....your jeep would look sick with full widths, stretchd, and comp cut.....it would look just like mine cept white....you saw my pics i think
[B][COLOR="Black"]92 YJ 5.0 AOD NP208 Full width Dana 60/44 axles RE4.5XD SOA lift kit XJ rear stretch comp cut fenders currently on 38" TSLs with hummer double beadlocks and runflats Warn 10,000lb winch Optima battery
WISH I NEVER SOLD IT

97 cHEROKEE SPORT 4DR...BONE STOCK....LOOKING FOR PARTS TO MOD IT
[/COLOR][/B]
5.0YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #4
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
and get a move on mate, i need that dana 30 steering junk before damn may!!
Ha! Loanshark me the money to fix this one and you can have the steering setup!! Sheesh!

Quote:
i was gonna say it looks like a f250 hp44....the dual piston calipers gave it away....i have the same axle in my jeep....how much did you get it for?? i found mine for 150 complete but i rebuilt it all anyways.....i would keep it full width and find a d60 full width.....your jeep would look sick with full widths, stretchd, and comp cut.....it would look just like mine cept white....you saw my pics i think
I paid $250 for mine....which was a steal around here. Can't find one anywhere around here for less than $400. Yes, it was out of a 78 F250 supercab. And yes...the calipers are damn near the largest I've ever seen....lol.
Unread 12-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
DustinM

If you will be looking to get rid of your D30, let me know, I'm looking for one with 4.10s so I can swap in my 8.8 and not have to do any type of regearing.
Unread 12-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ha! Loanshark me the money to fix this one and you can have the steering setup!! Sheesh!

Quote:
well lemme ask stacy what the going rate is then.....

why dont you bring it down to the house and work on it when i am there?? gotta be better than the outside!
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

looks great man.

when i put mine in i got the hardware from blue torch fab and as much as i hate to recomment them for anythign after the long delays i had, they're stuff is BEEFY and quite easy to make everything bolt right up. the U-Bolts were BDS, fyi.

front driveshaft will need to be shortened.... a combination u joint will be needed for the driveshaft to yoke union.... you cannot run 15" wheels without grinding on the huge brakes (calipers and brackets).... if you rebuild it you might as well replace EVERYTHING and when you get to the spindle studs, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard was the only place i could find them... cost about $40 or so with shipping for all 10. be sure to put those in before you install your high steer arm studs as SOME studs go through the arm enough to actually block the installation of one of the studs... ask me how i know

keep it full width if you can manage to get a d60 rear.... if you plan to keep the 8.8 then definatly narrow it.... it would look rather odd to have your front wheels out 6" farther than your rear wheels....

-Erik <--- running .25" spacers up front, and 2" spacers out back for a PERFECTLY matched width (hp44, d60)
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinM
If you will be looking to get rid of your D30, let me know, I'm looking for one with 4.10s so I can swap in my 8.8 and not have to do any type of regearing.
I will be getting rid of it when the time comes. I will PM you when I'm ready.

Quote:
ooks great man.

when i put mine in i got the hardware from blue torch fab and as much as i hate to recomment them for anythign after the long delays i had, they're stuff is BEEFY and quite easy to make everything bolt right up. the U-Bolts were BDS, fyi.

front driveshaft will need to be shortened.... a combination u joint will be needed for the driveshaft to yoke union.... you cannot run 15" wheels without grinding on the huge brakes (calipers and brackets).... if you rebuild it you might as well replace EVERYTHING and when you get to the spindle studs, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard was the only place i could find them... cost about $40 or so with shipping for all 10. be sure to put those in before you install your high steer arm studs as SOME studs go through the arm enough to actually block the installation of one of the studs... ask me how i know

keep it full width if you can manage to get a d60 rear.... if you plan to keep the 8.8 then definatly narrow it.... it would look rather odd to have your front wheels out 6" farther than your rear wheels....
I'm not real sure on how to approach it as of yet as far as the width. I'm on the fence about going full width. Time will tell. Thanks for the info on parts, i'm sure it will come in handy.
Unread 12-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #9
jipjip

well as being as your already running 37's, a 60 in the rear won't be too much of a problem. their easy to come by, and compliment the 44 front very well.
your build is coming along nicely. i hope that one day, i might actually catch up to you
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
running .25" spacers up front, and 2" spacers out back for a PERFECTLY matched width (hp44, d60)
do you daily drive your rig??
the reason i ask, is rear axles are designed to be slightly smaller in width to the front, so when steering the rear axle tracks the front properly. if you matched the length perfectly, you may have issues w/ dog tracking, or wider turning radius.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #11
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is not exactly the same, but this is my buddies HP44 that he shortened. If you go that route, he has some good info in there about how much to shorten the axle to get to other D44 lengths, that way you can us stock shafts as spares.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=458

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #12
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

what are your plans for bolt pattern? I am also considering a D44 swap up front, but after just sinking all that dough into my 8.8 build, I am very hesitant to change bolt patterns as It would signifigantly raise the cost of the swap. I know I can go 5 on 5.5 in the 8.8 with the Super 88 kit, but then I would need all new rims all the way around, and another beadlock kit, and so on.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #13
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
do you daily drive your rig??
the reason i ask, is rear axles are designed to be slightly smaller in width to the front, so when steering the rear axle tracks the front properly. if you matched the length perfectly, you may have issues w/ dog tracking, or wider turning radius.
i haven't bought my rear locker yet so it's parked now... but yes... it is my daily driver and once it's geared and locked next month, it will be my daily driver again.

i don't really care if the front is supposed to be wider for turning reasons... i think it's flat out ugly. I can't stand the look of front tires that stick out farther than rear tires... it's one of my pet peeves. i don't see how i coudl have a wider turning radius with my setup but i never really thought about it... but coming from being daily driven with my 39's and stock axles, the full widths will have a better turning radius anyway since i won't have any many clearance issues with my leaf springs and tires.... not that i care though, since it was no problem for me before...

-Erik
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

Unread 12-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #14
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
i haven't bought my rear locker yet so it's parked now... but yes... it is my daily driver and once it's geared and locked next month, it will be my daily driver again.

i don't really care if the front is supposed to be wider for turning reasons... i think it's flat out ugly. I can't stand the look of front tires that stick out farther than rear tires... it's one of my pet peeves. i don't see how i coudl have a wider turning radius with my setup but i never really thought about it... but coming from being daily driven with my 39's and stock axles, the full widths will have a better turning radius anyway since i won't have any many clearance issues with my leaf springs and tires.... not that i care though, since it was no problem for me before...

-Erik
that's cool, i know how you feel in that end. luckily w/ my setup, it's only about 1 1/2" per side shorter in the rear, so it isn't very noticeable.
it will deffinately be a hell of a difference over what you were running before though, you will probably feel like it's an improvement over that....so i wouldn't worry about lenghth too much.
looks like a good build. got any pics??? i will also be running 39's full width, and would like to know how it's gonna look.
Unread 12-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #15
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

don't really wanna jack this thread since tomb raider's build is the topic of discussion so check out this link for pics..

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16792

i have finished a lot more since those pics, but you'll get the idea... also, no wheel spacers installed when those pics were taken, and the front wheels weren't even bolted on... just sitting there...

-Erik <--- will have new pics once i install spacers and redo driveshafts to the proper lenth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.