DANA 44 with auto hubs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DANA 44 with auto hubs

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Fatjimi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

DANA 44 with auto hubs

I finally found the source of the irritating noise! The previous owner bolted up a DANA 44 front axle with auto hubs. There has been a jingling and clattering noise while under power. I thought it was the T-case so I replaced the old one and still had the noise. When you raise the front end up and spin the tires the drive shaft will rotate. If you rotate the tire and grab the front drive shaft you can stop the rotation of the drive shaft while spinning the tire. I think what is happening is the hubs aren't completely disengaging. I then removed the front drive shaft and went for a drive. What do you know!! The noise was gone!!

Question #1: Is there a rebuild kit for auto hubs?

Question #2: Would it be a better move to swap over to manual locking hubs?

Not quite sure where to start on this issue.

Fatjimi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to swap to manual lockouts.
Do you have any idea what the axle came out of?
What bolt pattern is it?
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'd upgrade. Ford and GM both offered an auto hub design that can be replaced with an aftermarket locking hub.

Post a pic and we can confirm which one you will need.

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Fatjimi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's your classic 10 bolt pattern. I have no idea what it is out of.

As far as loading an image goes. How?
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I personally like using photobucket.com you upload them then copy/paste the link with IMG tags and it shows up without anyone having to click a link.

10 bolt pattern? As in GM 10 bolt front?

Standard lock outs for a full size 44 will have 3 or 6 allen heads or screws attaching them.

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Fatjimi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I did miss one of the first questions. The axle has a 5 lug pattern. I assume it is a 5 on 4.5? The rear axle is a 98 8.8" out of an Exlporer. I've spent a lot of time researching this front axle and can't find much more than Dana 44 30 spline. I kmow there is more to it than that. According to 4wheelparts.com I can get a WARN hub kit, but I need to purchase the spindle nut kit also.
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatjimi View Post
I did miss one of the first questions. The axle has a 5 lug pattern. I assume it is a 5 on 4.5? The rear axle is a 98 8.8" out of an Exlporer. I've spent a lot of time researching this front axle and can't find much more than Dana 44 30 spline. I kmow there is more to it than that. According to 4wheelparts.com I can get a WARN hub kit, but I need to purchase the spindle nut kit also.
If the bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 and you have a Dana 44 it is either one out of a Rubicon or a aftermarket 44.
The only way to put lockouts on it is with a aftermarket kit.
One like this by MileMarker
Hub Conversion Kit by Mile Marker and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1
Picture of the front axle would really help.
Unread 11-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

sense the "jingling and clattering noise " went away when you pulled the drive shaft out, I'd look into freshening up the drive shaft wile you are at it. If it was making noise, it probably has a worn slip joint, or bad U/CV-joint.
Unread 11-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Tim Shafer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is it drivers drop or Passenger drop?
Tim Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Fatjimi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It is a drivers drop. I did make a call to 4wheel parts tech line. They e-mailed a pdf file from spicer. The axle is a Spicer GM 44/216 1978-1980. Commonly used in Blazers, K10, & K20 vehicles. Plus many other vehicles which all have the same WARN part numbers anyways. I'm gonna upgrade to manual hubs.

I'll check the slip joint to see if there is any play in it before I put it back in. If there is I'm not wasting time putting it back in I'll just replace it.

Thanks for everyones input and help.
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
Tim Shafer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Drivers drop Dana 44 are out of Ford or Jeep. Mabe your outer cees have been changed out to GM.
Tim Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.