Dana 35 Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 Replacement

Spartan Locker 1 day sale This Friday only!Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 Custom Control Arms from Clayton Off Road

Unread 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
moomoomage
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 35 Replacement

First of all I would like to say that I have looked around the forums and I haven't found anything in what I want.

Second of all, I'm a jeep noob and if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, it's because I don't.

I have a 2.5L 95 Wrangler with Dana 35's, now I've heard how unstable these things are and would like to know how one would be going around obtaining a new rear axle (I've heard alot about Ford 4.88) How much would that cost, and how much work and extra things (to buy) would have to go into it? Where would one find a new rear axle to begin with? (write ups would be appreciated!)

Sorry that I'm a noob thanks for any replies!

moomoomage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

To start, you most likely have a high pinion Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 35 in the rear. I assume you are speaking of the Ford 8.8 rear axle that has the same bolt pattern (5 x 4.5) as our YJ's do. The swap to the 8.8 is pretty straight forward. I got mine for $200 from a junkyard and put another several hundred into it. There are always other options too. Some folks find a Dana 44 from a Cherokee and others use Dana 44's from variou other vehicles but the bolt pattern is different.

Do you have a budget for this swap?

Do you have a welder?

There are tons of information on the swap. My favorite is Sebastian's.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...inally-636291/

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.