Dana 35 ....binding? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 ....binding?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
tlgraham
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 35 ....binding?

I get to school today and go to turn into the parking lot. As I turned into the lot, my Jeep started to make a horrible grinding noise. After class when I went to leave, I put it in gear and made a single 'pop' feeling though the body so I stopped and called for a ride. When my roommate got there, we decided to try moving it again, and I managed to make it about 50 feet down the road before it started to do it again. It is a very stiff shudder and grind. Reverse works fine.

Yes, it is a D35 and according to some it sucks. Now that we are past that, what could the problems be: ring/pinion? Spiders? Bearing? I need to know how much this could cost me. I'm waiting for a trailer to take it to a shop. If this is something I could fix myself, I'd like to. The pinion seal also needs replaced, but I know that the fluid is full.

Thanks in advance.

tlgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Could be any of the problems you mentioned or a combo of them.

Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Joe that info should be in the FAQ. Thanks for the tips.
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
yjwrangler08
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well seeing how you have the AX5 and you say reverse is fine then it makes me think your problem is in the transmission instead of the rear end. that would be where i would look. those trns are notoriously weak. hope this helps
Unread 02-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
tlgraham
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, loaded the Jeep up on a trailer(saddest image I have ever seen). Didn't make a single noise onto or off of the trailer and the 30ish feet into my garage. I had thought it was the U-Joint on the yoke at the rear diff, but there is no slop in the drive shaft.

I was going under 20 both times it made noise. The only sound I can compare it to would be a ratchet or Jake-Brake.
Unread 02-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
tlgraham
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Took it into a local shop yesterday to have it looked at. Drove it there and it only made noise once, about 3 'pops' as I made a gradual left turn. Shop says that the u-joints are all good and that they were going to check out the front end next. I'm at a loss. I can't keep throwing money at this thing to find a problem with it other than a bad pinion seal and a supposedly leaking oil filter. Where should I look next?
Unread 02-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Surely someone has opened the diff and taken a look by now? I realize this is the obvious first step, but you haven't mentioned the results of any diff inspection.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
tlgraham
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by osburn View Post
Surely someone has opened the diff and taken a look by now? I realize this is the obvious first step, but you haven't mentioned the results of any diff inspection.
Um, I don't know if they have or not. When I get off work here in a half hour I'll call and tell them to go ahead and take a look. I'm kind of surprised that they haven't yet as I told them I thought the problem was in the back somewhere.
Unread 02-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
tlgraham
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They looked at the diff and didn't see anything wrong. I'm going to pick it up tonight because I'm sick of them not finding anything. The tech is trying to tell me that it is only my tires rubbing on the flares (worn 31's on stock suspension) and that they are rubbing on the sway bar.

I know they rub on the sway bar at full lock, but if I had turned hard and sharp enough to rub the sway bar, I would be asking how to build a new roll cage and not about a noise. I told the head tech that it did it going in a straight line, and he said he would look at it before I picked it up tonight.

I think I'm going to replace my drive shaft ujoints anyway when I get it back just to make sure. Looks like I found a shop not to take vehicles to.
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I'd like to say you're making progress. But if you really don't trust the shop, I wonder if the diff inspection was thorough. I'm sure you would have known if your tires rubbing on something. Like you said, you definately found a shop not to take your Jeep to. If nothing else, that was progress. Keep us posted and we'll keep throwing out wild *** guesses!
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Aw man, what is this xbox.com? I can't say a$$? You can say a$$ on tv! Oh well. I guess us Jeep guys are getting sensitive too.
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
sailmike83
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had posted this in the "What did you do to your..." thread yesterday, but it sounds similar so I'll toss it out there:

"As I pulled the jeep out of the bay, I did run into another problem though. While i was driving I heard a rubbing sound then a pop and then came to almost a dead stop. My first thought was, "oh sh.., something in the drivetrain.." come to find out, the pass side parking brake cable had seized up . I ended up taking the rear brakes apart--time for a brake job anyway--and disconnecting the parking brake cable."

So, did you use your parking brake at all?
sailmike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
tlgraham
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmike83 View Post
I had posted this in the "What did you do to your..." thread yesterday, but it sounds similar so I'll toss it out there:

"As I pulled the jeep out of the bay, I did run into another problem though. While i was driving I heard a rubbing sound then a pop and then came to almost a dead stop. My first thought was, "oh sh.., something in the drivetrain.." come to find out, the pass side parking brake cable had seized up . I ended up taking the rear brakes apart--time for a brake job anyway--and disconnecting the parking brake cable."

So, did you use your parking brake at all?
I used to use my parking brake all the time until the pawl broke and it wouldn't hold.

It had a brake job about 18 thousand ago, but IDK what all was done. As I was leaving the shop, it was making a low grumbling/king of dragging noise. I'm sure there is a write-up somewhere about doing rear-drums, could anyone point me in the right direction.
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
tlgraham
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, found my problem. Pulled all of the tires and put her on stands. The right rear brake was making all kinds of noise. When I finally got the drum pulled off, here is what I found:

Sorry for the crappy cell pic.

Is this part of the return spring for the whole brake assembly and my parking brake? What should I do at this point; a total rear brake rebuild? New drums necessary?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.