Dana 35 axle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 axle question

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 35 axle question

Ok gents,
heres the question. I know the "turdy five" is a pretty weak axle as far as that goes. Im not running large (31" and keeping them) tires, would a super 35 kit with an ARB locker installed be a good investment? From what I have been reading, the weak points are the shafts and the carriers. Looks like the super kits have both ends covered with the better chromoly shafts and the carriers covered by replacing with a known strong component (arb locker) am I right? or am I missing some minute engineering flaw in the design? I really dont want to do a swap, unless I find a totalled Rubi, then Im yanking the complete drivetrain of course, but thats a slim to none find, especially on a Sailors paycheck.

Unread 05-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm a retired sailor myself (FCC Tomahawker) ......if I were to be giving advice to a true sailor friend, I would slap them in the face before I'd advise them to put even one nickle into a D35.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Even with 31's, I agree with Joe. For the price of the ARB and super 35 kit you can swap in a Ford 8.8

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
viper719
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, Im looking at options right now. I honestly dont have the time nor resources for the axle swap at this point in life, yet the shaft swap was a workable option for me which is why I was looking into it.
FCC huh?? Go push button, fire missile lol. IT here, former 0621 (field radio operator) in the marines. Thanks again
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
qwertyqwerty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just minutes ago swapped in a 35 for a 35 that had noise issues, I have an 8.8 that will go in this fall and from what I can see is that the 8.8 has better brakes a limited slip in most cases and is stronger all around.

the swap kit is about $250 and you will need to do some welding, I am not sure about driveshaft but I think a new setup is in order there as well..

what is a axel kit and locker going to cost?
qwertyqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The other major flaw with the D35 is the strength of the housing. It is quite easy to bend a tube, thus breaking the expensive axles you just put in it. Skip the Super 35 kit. You'd be miles ahead if you put an open 8.8 in instead of a locked 35. The 8.8 will give you tons of options without sacrificing reliability.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.