Dana 300 tear down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 300 tear down

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
ZJ1998

Dana 300 tear down

Have a Dana 300 with a bad leak. I had the lower seal replaced but it seems it is still leaking from the center piece (indicated by arrow). I'm wondering how hard it would be to tear this down by myself and re-do all seals? Any thoughts or write-ups that come to mind?

93 YJ I6, 5spd, Dana300, twin stick, 35's, D44 front and rear, 4:88 gear
98 ZJ I6, 2"BB, 31's, stock
ZJ1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
ZJ1998

one last try with a bump to top...any takers?
93 YJ I6, 5spd, Dana300, twin stick, 35's, D44 front and rear, 4:88 gear
98 ZJ I6, 2"BB, 31's, stock
ZJ1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sorry no help from me other than to suggest you also post this in the CJ forum - might have better luck getting more responses there as the YJ never came stock with one, but lots of CJs did.

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Remove the case and if all you have to do is seals pretty straightforward.

Clean the exterior with a degreaser, wire brush and green scrubbers.

Get a seal remover tool NAPA $8. Use it to remove the seals and compare each one to the new ones to make sure they are correct.

Grease the shaft the new seal goes over or when you reinstall the yokes. Carefully install the new seals.

I start with a small ballpeen hammer and tap it around to get it started and finish driving the seal into the case with a socket. Most of those will be from a 3/4 drive set. If none available continue carefully using the hammer.

If you need to split the case you really need to find at least an exploded parts diagram, or the manual.

Fortunately we run 231s and they are very simple. Hope that helps.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.