Dana 30 swap questions ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 30 swap questions ??

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished my ford 8.8 swap with 4.10 gears. So time for the front. I picked up a d30 from a 92 wrangler today with 4.10 gears and have acouple questions as to which route to take.

1. My mechanic friend had suggested we just pull the carrier and pinion and swap them into mine.
2. Should I just put the whole d30 into my jeep and take out my old one?
Will my axles from my d30 work in the new 4.10 geared axle? I'd have to replace the ball joints for sure in the new one.

l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
1993sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just swap the entire housing and find a new mechanic. There is way, way more to swapping gear sets than just bolting them in. The pre load and backlash has to be set and it's harder to get right with used gears.

Ball joints are easy. Axle shafts are a direct swap. Use the unit bearings in the best shape.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
Just swap the entire housing and find a new mechanic. There is way, way more to swapping gear sets than just bolting them in. The pre load and backlash has to be set and it's harder to get right with used gears.

Ball joints are easy. Axle shafts are a direct swap. Use the unit bearings in the best shape.
That's exactly what I thought. I'd get rid of my mechanic but he's my best friend and has the shop with all the tools I can use.

I figure I ll just take all the old stuff off the new axle and get it ready with new ball joints and then when I do the swap, throw my knuckles and unit bearings and axles in it.
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

do the ball joints before you swap in the donor 4.10 axle. If your wheel joints are crap, now is a good time to change them too.

Bonus side, you now have spare shafts for the D30.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You'll have the same size ujoints either way so freshen up the new axle before installation. Its a lot easier to do while its on a workbench or jack stands.
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Taking the new axle back to the salvage yard tomorrow. Turns out there was a good bit of metal shavings in the oil and the pinion bearing is shot in it
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you bill them for your time too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.