Dana 30 Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 30 Problem

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 30 Problem

In the picture below, there is what looks like a splash ring on the binion shaft shaft behind the pinion gear. The splash ring is all chewed up in one area.

The Rig makes a clunk clunk clunk sound when driving and on the gas. I believe this is the culprit.

My questions are:
1) Is this ring needed.
2) Can it be removed without removing the pinion gear

I really don't want to have to reset up preload on this dif, but will if I have to.

Thanks in advance...

Gary

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Ratmeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

To answer your questions:

1. You'll have to inspect all the teeth on the ring and pinion to make sure they aren't missing a tooth or have been damaged. If you have to get another ring you have to buy them in a set since they are machined to fit each other. If that happens then you will need to set up the backlash and preload. But using the existing shims gives you a good starting point.

2.Yes the ring and carrier can be removed without removing the pinion gear. I would take a picture of the assembly and make sure to keep all the parts in order like they came off the diff. You don't want to install the caps upside down or on the wrong side.

If you're planning on replacing the oil slinger, then yes you will need to remove the pinion because its sandwiched between the pinion head and the inner pinion bearing. Have you turned the pinion yoke by hand to see how it feels and where the problem might be?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

All is well inside except the slinger.

You answered my question though

thanks

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount of up to and including his or her life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Actually I have one more:

Is the oil slinger needed or can I safely eliminate it?

Unread 09-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Ratmeat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone? 10 char

Unread 09-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You need it. It helps lubricate the pinion bearings. I saw where yours was bent. Do you know what caused it?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.