Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 30/powertrax no-slip install problem

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JeepinSC87 
#1 ·
Upgrading my Dana 30 in my 87 YJ with 4.56 gears and a powertrax no-slip locker. Because of the low gear ratio I am forced to remove the differential case and ring gear in order to get the cross shaft out; meaning I have to install the powertrax locker before I can install the new ring gear and put the diff. case back in the axle housing.

Now to the question....when removing pass. side inner axle shaft I first had to remove a c-clip from the end of the axle shaft inside the diff. I've read many threads saying the D30 has no c-clips. I've also read a few saying if there is a c-clip to just discard it. Because I have to install the powertrax before putting the diff. case back in the housing, I cannot get the c-clip back in. I don't want to just throw the c-clip away without a solid answer. Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, what did you do about it? Thanx in advance.

Matt

#2 ·
I havn't personally installed a powertrax system in my jeep... However, my dana 30 doesn't have clips... Upon taking the wheelbearing/hub off, my axle pulls strait out of the carrier. If you look at how the axle assembly is put together, there is no way the axle is going anywhere BECAUSE of the fact you have a hub assymbly...

Now, if you wern't a 4wd vehicle, or if we were talking about the rear (excluding non-clip axles) then you WOULD need C-clips because there is nothing there to gold the axle into the differential... Meaning your axle, drum, and tire would take off into the woods and leave you sitting on 3 or less tires lol. Simply put, your wheel bearing/hub assymbly is responsible for keeping the axle firmly seated inside the carrier spline.

Personally, if it were me, I would install without and store them for safe keeping just in case... But as stated before, I have a Cherokee one piece conversion and neither the cherokee, my stock, nor the drivers side axles had a c-clip on them.

#3 ·
apollo,

Thanx for the input but herein lies the problem: I have a front axle disconnect system (vacuum disconnect), therefore the inner axleshaft is just floating between the diff. case and the vacuum disconnect collar. Isn't this c-clip the only thing retaining the inner axleshaft from moving around too much?

Also, just looked in my haynes manual. It also mentions the c-clip under the section for removing the axle shafts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.