dana 30. locker axle shaft question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dana 30. locker axle shaft question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
SeriesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dana 30. locker axle shaft question

I am looking to get this

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai..._pn=MIDMG22131

i want to eliminate the vacuum disconnect so this kit should work.

but i do not know how to pick out a locker for it. i want a lockrite locker, but how do i choose one for the dana 30 if these new shafts are 30 spline, do i just get a locker with 30 spline.

any answers?

SeriesYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
SeriesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

maybe even this kit

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...&t_pn=ALY12131

i am just really confused on how to find the right locker that will work with this
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you get a 30 spline inner shaft kit you need a 30 spline locker, if you get 27 spline inners you need a 27 spline locker. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Both of those axles sets are 30 spline. You need a new carrier for those.
30 spline carriers are rare. Your choice is amongst 2 or 3 brands at most and you need a "full" carrier, not a lunchbox or drop in locker.
Lockrite- not going to work(lunchbox).
You will need a Detroit or ARB or OX. Those are the only 30 spline locker brands.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
SeriesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is there an axle kit that eliminates the vac system but keeps 27 spline axles?
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesYJ View Post
Is there an axle kit that eliminates the vac system but keeps 27 spline axles?
Google

In short, yes, 10 factory, Alloy USA, and others offer some chromos in 27 spline.

Or if you're looking for something a little cheaper, swap to stock TJ/XJ shafts. Can be found in many junkyards. I use http://www.car-part.com to search for parts in local yards.

Either way will elimitate the 2-piece p-side design (and thus the vac system) and gives you the larger 297 joint. The chromoly shafts will be stronger (the shaft itself, not the joint which is the same), but cost more. I'm not sure what seal setup the chormo kits use, but with the TJ/XJ shafts you have to change to a napa 11800 seal in the passenger axle tube @ the differential.

Run a search on here for TJ shaft swap or similar. Tons of info already posted on this type of swap.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Personally, I stayed with 27 spine rather than 30 because it's WAY easier and cheaper to have spares on hand.

Also, here's what I think of Alloy USA after the first 1/4 mile of trail on brand new shafts.

Here too
<
<

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
Both of those axles sets are 30 spline. You need a new carrier for those.
30 spline carriers are rare. Your choice is amongst 2 or 3 brands at most and you need a "full" carrier, not a lunchbox or drop in locker.
Lockrite- not going to work(lunchbox).
You will need a Detroit or ARB or OX. Those are the only 30 spline locker brands.
just to keep the confusion to a minimum i agree with what you are trying to say, but the use of the term carrier can be misconstrued. on a standard diff the carrier has little to do with the spline count. if he wanted to use these shafts (30spline) he could simply have the 27 spline spider gears broached to the larger count or have the same done to an aussie locker. the carrier itself would not need to be replaced. there are no 30 spline carriers per se. you are correct that ARB, Detroit, and OX all manufacture locking differentials for the dana 30 that support 30 spline shafts and that they are full carrier-replacement lockers.
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Tj shafts will eliminate the vac disco. And give you bigger u-joints.

Jbolt- I have AlloyUSA shafts...knocking on wood. So far so good. 30 spline shafts and fancy u-joints.I am still a bit careful.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
SeriesYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think i found what im after http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-J...Y12145#active1
thank you for the replys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.