dana 30 high steer knuckle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
mikes95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

dana 30 high steer knuckle

hey everyone! im looking for a dana 30 high steer knuckle. just the knuckle its self. i found teraflex's which is $423. wondering of any other places to look for them, any help would be awesome! thanks
ps- using a SOA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't looked into it too much because any Jeep in a salvage around here is gold or at least they think so when it comes to pricing, but I believe you can swap the knuckles from a Grand Cherokee.

I'm sure someone here has done it or can at least give you the correct info on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can use the 99 and up WJ Grand Cherokee knuckles. Just do a search and you should find a few write-ups.

'93 YJ 4.0L, AX-15, NP-231HD/SYE, 8.8in rear, OME 2.5 lift, home made front hub conversion, hydroboost. Warn M10000 winch. Currently building a stroker.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a parts list.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...-list-1216365/

I am running a Teraflex knuckle but I got it used for a good price. The guy also threw in a HD tie rod and drag link.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 AM
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just did high steer with junkyard parts. It ended up costing around $200. I also replaced unit bearings, brake rotors, master cylinder, booster, calipers, tie rod and drag link though. $200 includes everything. Knuckles were $10 each.

It came out pretty good if I do say so myself:

forumrunner_20130309_081921.jpg

Google "WJ knuckle high steer". You'll have to get 99-04 WJ knuckles and their brakes. You'll want to take their better master cylinder, tie rods and drag link. I did a tie rod flip for clearance. I had to shorten the drag link which you can read about in my build thread. You'll need to $20 JKS spacers between the unit bearing and knuckle. And you can buy mid 90s Crown Vic rotors. You can be a snob about not buying used rotors....or you can go to the junkyard and see all those grandma Crown Vics with no miles. It was funny.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
mikes95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I found a kit locally that is teraflex. For $500, should I jump on that or go to a junkyard for the wj knuckle?
post #7 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 10:36 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

You should do this
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Je...e_87_95_YJ.htm

Then search on my user name for more steering info.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes95YJ View Post
I found a kit locally that is teraflex. For $500, should I jump on that or go to a junkyard for the wj knuckle?
I think that would be up to you and how much mech skills you have. If you have the time and knowledge and a local yard with the parts that arn't gold plated, then you could go that route. And although it has been years... IIRC, quite a few guys were having issues with the Tera setup back then. Not sure about now.

WRM

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #9 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
mikes95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Scored the kit for $450. I'm in a little bit of a rush to get this project done before I graduate, but all the help is much appreciated!
post #10 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
I think that would be up to you and how much mech skills you have. If you have the time and knowledge and a local yard with the parts that arn't gold plated, then you could go that route. And although it has been years... IIRC, quite a few guys were having issues with the Tera setup back then. Not sure about now.

WRM
I heard the main issue was the aluminum hex drag link and tie rod being weak. I believe the knuckles were solid, well at least the one I'm running is. I put some inserts in it to flip the tie rod and drag link for clearance. So far so good.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #11 of 12 Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 PM
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I just did high steer with junkyard parts. It ended up costing around $200. I also replaced unit bearings, brake rotors, master cylinder, booster, calipers, tie rod and drag link though. $200 includes everything. Knuckles were $10 each.

It came out pretty good if I do say so myself:

Attachment 581423

Google "WJ knuckle high steer". You'll have to get 99-04 WJ knuckles and their brakes. You'll want to take their better master cylinder, tie rods and drag link. I did a tie rod flip for clearance. I had to shorten the drag link which you can read about in my build thread. You'll need to $20 JKS spacers between the unit bearing and knuckle. And you can buy mid 90s Crown Vic rotors. You can be a snob about not buying used rotors....or you can go to the junkyard and see all those grandma Crown Vics with no miles. It was funny.
Yep, it does indeed look pretty good! Nice job.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-11-2013, 02:23 AM
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i had the tera knuckle and id go the WJ route. the only problem with the tera knuckle is they made the draglink arm too long. you have to redrill your own hole closer to the ball joint.

-insert meaningless out-of-place political diatribe-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.