Dana 30 Front Hub "Shim"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 30 Front Hub "Shim"?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 30 Front Hub "Shim"?

Can anyone tell me where to find the shim's for the front hub on a Dana 30 to change the top angle on the hub? I just changed and put new tire on, and went to get the front end alined and the angle on the top is way to far in I need to get a little more straight up and down and cant find where to order from?

(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
clarkjdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Are you taking about the camber angle? That is not normally adjustedable on a solid axle vehicle and should be fine unless the tubes are bent. There is really no such thing as a front end alignment of a YJ; the only real adjustment is toe in. Or, you could get adjustable ball joints.

What's the actual problem?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am by no means an expert, but i've gone through my fair share of d30 hubs, and i have never heard of shimming anything. as jbolty said, only toe is adjustable, everything else is set.
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
justanotherjpr

If your camber is off you may need an adjustable ball joint to fix it. Never seen any kind of shim that would work in this application. I can't imagine using a wedge between the hub and knuckle would be very safe or allow the bearing's ridge to seat in the knuckle properly.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

There are I've seen them but I don't know where to get them, what it is, is a bushing that goes on between the Steering Knuckle and the Hub Assembly and it is thicker on one side and thinner on the other with 6 hole instead of 3 so it can be changed to move the angle to different points. Standing in front of mine the top on both sides is in and the bottom is out it looks kinda like a toe in but the toe in is on the top.
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
88 YJ, Smittybilt SRC Front, Side, and Rear Armor, Family Roll Bars, TJ Flares, and Half Doors
4"Leaf, 2"Body, and 1"Leaf Lift, 4.10 Geared Dana 30 Posi with Cable Engage, Ford 8.8 Posi, With 33s BFGs MT KM2
Everything "Black" Inner, Under, and outer "Black" on the Body is "Bed Linered" and I will be Thru the day that I Die!
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What size shackles do you have on the front?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMPC View Post
What size shackles do you have on the front?
Profile mentions 1" booms.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I didnt see that thanks.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkjdg View Post
There are I've seen them but I don't know where to get them, what it is, is a bushing that goes on between the Steering Knuckle and the Hub Assembly and it is thicker on one side and thinner on the other with 6 hole instead of 3 so it can be changed to move the angle to different points. Standing in front of mine the top on both sides is in and the bottom is out it looks kinda like a toe in but the toe in is on the top.
If the shim angles the bearing, how do you get the bolts to thread into the knuckle?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It just sets in between the two and it doesn't hardly change the angle on the bolt at all, it is like a washer that is nearly flush on one side and on the other it is about a 1/8 thick with notches for the bolts to go trough. The 1/8 offset doesn't hardly change anything except the wheel angle.
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.ingallseng.com/26126-6-bo...mber-shim.html

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mean MAx fior the score. Leanr something every day.

I still want to know how the camber is off spec.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
Mean MAx fior the score. Leanr something every day.

I still want to know how the camber is off spec.
I didn't see an application for YJ models listed in that link, but that is the type of item the OP was looking for.

Bent axle tubes aren't uncommon, for some reason quite a few people think their Jeeps were meant to fly.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

I use full-contact shims (as described above, wedged shaped disc with holes for the bearing retainer bolts to go through) on many many solid rear trailing axles on FWD cars. When it's solid rear, like Matrix, Corolla, Sienna, it's the only way to correct for damage without replacing an otherwise-sound axle assembly. I've never used on on a Jeep, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Offset ball joints can also solve it, but a shim is a few dollars, a ball joint $25+ and more work to install.
Noltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #15
clarkjdg
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Thanks!!!!!! I am not sure how it happened but it wasn't from me and wild playing but its a 88 and had a previous owner but Ive got to straighten it up for tire wear and that a lot cheaper than a new axle and a lot easier for now anyway, and if they don't have it i bet they can tell me where to go to find it.Thanks again!!
(o) )-(o) )-*-) )

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.