JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Dana 30 Front Hub "Shim"? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/dana-30-front-hub-shim-1252052/)

clarkjdg 08-12-2011 02:31 PM

Dana 30 Front Hub "Shim"?

Can anyone tell me where to find the shim's for the front hub on a Dana 30 to change the top angle on the hub? I just changed and put new tire on, and went to get the front end alined and the angle on the top is way to far in I need to get a little more straight up and down and cant find where to order from? :confused:

jbolty 08-12-2011 02:49 PM

Are you taking about the camber angle? That is not normally adjustedable on a solid axle vehicle and should be fine unless the tubes are bent. There is really no such thing as a front end alignment of a YJ; the only real adjustment is toe in. Or, you could get adjustable ball joints.

What's the actual problem?

jbeebe 08-12-2011 03:05 PM

I am by no means an expert, but i've gone through my fair share of d30 hubs, and i have never heard of shimming anything. as jbolty said, only toe is adjustable, everything else is set.

justanotherjpr 08-12-2011 03:08 PM

If your camber is off you may need an adjustable ball joint to fix it. Never seen any kind of shim that would work in this application. I can't imagine using a wedge between the hub and knuckle would be very safe or allow the bearing's ridge to seat in the knuckle properly.

clarkjdg 08-12-2011 03:11 PM

There are I've seen them but I don't know where to get them, what it is, is a bushing that goes on between the Steering Knuckle and the Hub Assembly and it is thicker on one side and thinner on the other with 6 hole instead of 3 so it can be changed to move the angle to different points. Standing in front of mine the top on both sides is in and the bottom is out it looks kinda like a toe in but the toe in is on the top.

MJMPC 08-12-2011 03:11 PM

What size shackles do you have on the front?

Joe Dillard 08-12-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJMPC (Post 12011692)
What size shackles do you have on the front?

Profile mentions 1" booms.

MJMPC 08-12-2011 03:24 PM

I didnt see that thanks.

justanotherjpr 08-12-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkjdg (Post 12011689)
There are I've seen them but I don't know where to get them, what it is, is a bushing that goes on between the Steering Knuckle and the Hub Assembly and it is thicker on one side and thinner on the other with 6 hole instead of 3 so it can be changed to move the angle to different points. Standing in front of mine the top on both sides is in and the bottom is out it looks kinda like a toe in but the toe in is on the top.

If the shim angles the bearing, how do you get the bolts to thread into the knuckle?

clarkjdg 08-12-2011 07:27 PM

It just sets in between the two and it doesn't hardly change the angle on the bolt at all, it is like a washer that is nearly flush on one side and on the other it is about a 1/8 thick with notches for the bolts to go trough. The 1/8 offset doesn't hardly change anything except the wheel angle.

Mean Max 08-12-2011 08:12 PM

http://www.ingallseng.com/26126-6-bo...mber-shim.html

Max

jbolty 08-12-2011 08:50 PM

Mean MAx fior the score. Leanr something every day.

I still want to know how the camber is off spec.

Mean Max 08-12-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty
Mean MAx fior the score. Leanr something every day.

I still want to know how the camber is off spec.

I didn't see an application for YJ models listed in that link, but that is the type of item the OP was looking for.

Bent axle tubes aren't uncommon, for some reason quite a few people think their Jeeps were meant to fly.

Max

Noltz 08-12-2011 09:14 PM

I use full-contact shims (as described above, wedged shaped disc with holes for the bearing retainer bolts to go through) on many many solid rear trailing axles on FWD cars. When it's solid rear, like Matrix, Corolla, Sienna, it's the only way to correct for damage without replacing an otherwise-sound axle assembly. I've never used on on a Jeep, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Offset ball joints can also solve it, but a shim is a few dollars, a ball joint $25+ and more work to install.

clarkjdg 08-13-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Max (Post 12012890)

Thanks!!!!!! :thumbsup: I am not sure how it happened but it wasn't from me and wild playing but its a 88 and had a previous owner but Ive got to straighten it up for tire wear and that a lot cheaper than a new axle and a lot easier for now anyway, and if they don't have it i bet they can tell me where to go to find it.Thanks again!!

The time now is 04:03 PM.