Dana 30 Build to handle 35" or 36" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 30 Build to handle 35" or 36"

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
what is your budget? there's a ton a stuff you can do to pollish a D30. but the weakest link, as Martin pointed out, are the ujoints. when I went to 35's, I upgraded to new stock '95 shafts w/x760 ujoints... carry the old joints/shafts as spares. I also have a locker and I wheel it purdy hard. has worked fine to date. if you're looking to not spend a ton of $$$, then you could swap in a new YJ driver side and a TJ pass side, and get rid of the vac/2 piece and gain the big ujoints all at the same time. a little more $$ and upgrade to chromos. also, good quality R&P is not a bad idea, either.

WRM
R&B?
Also what are Chromos? I know there axle shafts but what make them great?

dougbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Chromoly.....

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was hopping for a little more then that!
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrown View Post
I was hopping for a little more then that!
The alloy is stronger. I'm not a science guy so get your detailed reasons why from google or those 'more smarter' than me

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
dougbrown
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That will work. I never heard of chromoly as an alloy. But know I know!
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Chromoly = chrome + alloy
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #22
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Chromoly = chrome + alloy
Hah
In all seriousness, I did a quick google and came up with this for anyone who was wondering:
'steel containing chromium and molybdenum'

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The idea is that the different alloy mixtures can be stronger, harder and even lighter.

EDIT: nice and brief
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S,AE_steel_grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #24
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good call on a quality R&P. I always used Dana gears and never had issues.
As I said, keep your eye open for some lightly used quality parts. I got a set of chromo shafts c/w CTM u joints for my current JK Rubicon axles for 1/2 price from a vendor on another forum that was going out of business. Otherwise my axles would still be stock.
Keep your eyes peeled on the XJ and Wrangler forums, there are others besides this one (although OBVIOUSLY not as good).
Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #25
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrown View Post
R&B?
Also what are Chromos? I know there axle shafts but what make them great?
R&P = ring and pinion gears.
I run 4.56 ratio and they are quality Dana Spicer components.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #26
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wrangler4life View Post
The problem with CTM's and RCV's is you are wasting money... not you are taking all the stress from your u joint and putting that into the ring gear/pinion which will not tolerate that much of it.... I'd rather snap a $15 u joint that destroy my internals... Even when i switch to Chromo's I will not be going with CTM's.... Now if your rocking a Dana 44, 60 or bigger up front, the ring gear and pinions are able to handle more so the CTMs or RCV's are a great purchase.
I suppose it depends on the big picture. I'll explain.

Lets say I got F&R ARB's & Spicer 4.56 gears installed for free as a gift. After a while decided to step up in trail difficulty so went with a Warn hub conversion with Warn inners at ~1/2 price (this was loooooong ago, way before the prices went up on them). I also decided to go with a set of CTM's since a friend of mine is the guy who designed them & gave me 2 for ~ 1/6th the regular price.

So now I've got an ARB'd, Spicer geared (both for free including install), Warn hubs & inners with CTM's, homebrew truss and sleeved long side axle tube which I designed & built myself, HPD30 all for less than the cost of a set of chromo's alone.

Is this still a waste of $ ? It certainly is not for me and several others I know who did almost the same exact thing & spent about the same $ doing almost all the work ourselves.

The hubs almost ensure that they will go before other items do if/when it grenades.

And like Martin mentioned - I push my POS with an Atlas 5.0, so the stress going to those axle components is quite high along with hand grooved 35" MT/R's. I generally play in the big rocks (think Johnson Valley/Hammers trails).

What I'm getting at is - its not always a waste of money to put CTM's in a HPD30 knowing the big picture of a build.

Now that I'm stepping up to 37's an HPD60 is going in.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #27
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

more then anything you simply have to determine for yourself how much money you are willing to put into a 30. this is the larger issue. some have no desire to put anything else under their jeep so they will spend more on every possible upgrade. this includes breaks, which people tend to forget. you have to add it all up and put it side-by-side to a drop-in aftermarket setup. you might be surprised at how much people spend polishing a "turdy."
in my case for how much i was willing to dump into it, nothing really, 35" is too big for what i do. an important factor is "what i do" unlike many i dont think limping painfully slow over rocks is the end-all test to component durability. so for those that i read who run 37s on a stock 30 in the hardcore arena of 'rock crawling.' thats fine im just not going to follow that guy all day. if coaxing your tires along one inch at a time is not your thing then take a hard look at how much its going to cost you with a dana 30 to wheel in the style you enjoy. there is a reason why KOH vehicles dont run 30s but wheel in the same areas where people are successful with them. my point is it has little to do with the terrain itself.

i will say without a doubt that driving on a stock dana 30 with anything over 35" tires is absolutely unsafe and shows a complete lack of common sense and respect for other drivers. you might be fine on your way to the store but load you down for the trail with spare everything (dana 30) tools, friends, food, etc and run down a windy road into the desert and you are knowingly setting yourself up for disaster. my avatar pic shows 36" bias iroks. what you dont see is the stock dana 30 they are mounted to so i have direct experience with this issue. those tires and driver destroyed the 30.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.