Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 30 Aussie Locker trouble?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  93YJfalcon 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've done the searches, and can't quite find the answer i'm looking for. Has anyone else installed an Aussie Locker in their Dana 30, and had problems? The install went great, all the measurements were well within spec, and it passed the 'tire spin test' in the instructions.

The problem is now that I am trying to drive it, it feels like a full spool. I can't hardly turn and it definitely does not feel like it is unlocking and letting the outside tire spin faster. I have read others that had problems with the grease from the install holding the cam gears tight at first, but shortly after ended up freeing up. I pulled it back in the garage to do the 'tire spin test' again, and it opens up sometimes, but not always.

Just curious about others experience, I don't want to tear it up by driving it. I have an E-mail into tech support, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys.

#2 ·
The Aussie will not differentiate under power, so try rolling through turns. It will also loosen up a little through time. Also, are you trying to do this on the street? there is way too much traction to run an aussie on the street without having the front disconnect open

#3 ·
I have tried just rolling through gradual turns, and it will just about stop the Jeep. I have tried it in loose gravel, in the snow on the street, and yes, even on dry pavement, but that was just pulling in and out of my driveway to see if I could get it to unlock. I have not DRIVEN it on the street engaged.

I just got off the phone with Aussie Locker Tech Support, and they said with all my measurements being in range, it is properly installed and it will just require a few cyclings in/out, then it will loosen up. I just wanted to be sure, before I tore up my new toy before I even got to play with it.

I guess I will have to wait and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.