Damage to leaf spring. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Damage to leaf spring.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Of course you should replace that spring. If it fails, what is going to happen to the axle ?

You should also be looking at the axle for additional damage to the knuckle, steering, ball joints, axle tube, or anything else with the axle/suspension that could be damaged by a hit hard enough to damage a leaf spring.
I'm really not that much of a mechanic, although I have a lot of tools and enough know how to get around. I did do the install myself, with some help from a friend. How or what do I look for which each of these things. If you don't mind, could you go into a little more explanation.

CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #17
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuznick242 View Post
I would just replace all the springs right away. It's only a matter of time till it sags, and I would replace that one, it's not at 100% which is leaving it weaker to break, whether on the street or on the trail, if money isnt a problem, take it to the local suspension shop and see what they say and have them do it, I see it costing less than $150 to have them replace it if it is an issue. But seeing that its RC, I would just get all new springs, the RC lifts are pretty good other than their springs...that's the only issue I have which is whats holding off my lift.
My RC springs have held up to more than two years of rock crawling with no sag and they still work just fine. I have seen failures of just about all the brands of springs out there. I am not sure you have ever owned any RC products, but your advice is way off base, you don't even know how CB uses his jeep.
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the bend starts wright at the 4th spring , just put a bottle jack wright where the bend starts jack it up then dance on the front bumber that should bend it wright back , if not add a little heat to it then try it , if that dont work get a new one there only $55 i just put in four new ones it cost me $220 . P.S sounds cheesy but it just may work.
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedWrangler View Post
My RC springs have held up to more than two years of rock crawling with no sag and they still work just fine. I have seen failures of just about all the brands of springs out there. I am not sure you have ever owned any RC products, but your advice is way off base, you don't even know how CB uses his jeep.
You dont know if I have ever owned any of it so hop off. (Sorry, late night and I'm kind of irratable) But so far I havent heard anything good from RC, I havent owned any of their stuff but I do spend much of my time surfing the web and researching so that when the funds do come my way and I plan on avoiding RC at all costs, the lift is a quality lift but the springs are a major weak point, 90% of reviews are negative just because of the springs, the biggest complaint is sagging and their product standards and quality control is sketchy at best. They sell whole lifts for less than what other companies sell their springs for, I've done the research and looked at the numbers, if you've had yours for 2 years and have had serious articulation on the regular basis then you've gotten lucky and taken care of it. I recently read that they changed manufacters for the springs but havent gotten any feed back yet on the quality. I might be young but I do have plenty of time on my hands and the internet, and it's scary what kind of combination that can be.
Unread 09-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would just replace all the springs right away. It's only a matter of time till it sags, and I would replace that one, it's not at 100% which is leaving it weaker to break, whether on the street or on the trail, if money isnt a problem, take it to the local suspension shop and see what they say and have them do it, I see it costing less than $150 to have them replace it if it is an issue. But seeing that its RC, I would just get all new springs, the RC lifts are pretty good other than their springs...that's the only issue I have which is whats holding off my lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedWrangler View Post

Thanks RWrangler. I completely agree with everything you say.
Funny enough, when I read Spuznick's post, I thought back to when I was researching lifts. Many of the posts I read stated how bad RC was. Then, before I bought my set, I heard RC had switched to a new manufacturer and then the public sentiment had changed to how RC had managed to overcome many of the previous springs shortcomings. So I took the plunge because $350 for a 3 inch life was hell of a lot better then $1200 for a comparable set!

My lift is only three months old. I have not taken it rock climbing or on any trails. All I have used it for is errands and a few weekly cruises through Montgomery County. Given how bad some of the roads are they might as well qualify as rock climbing or trails. Needless to say, I have been very happy with the lift. Its a little bouncy but, what the hell, it's a Jeep. Once you I re-torqued the spring bolts and let some air out of the tire it is a fairly smooth ride. For a cheapo lift, I have been very impressed so far.
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
PotentialYJNewb
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow this is really weird I was also in an intersection accident a few days ago and nothing really happened except my tube fender bent a little bit, but the shackle bent inward a bit and the spring is a little messed up. I'll take a picture tomorrow
PotentialYJNewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #22
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm glad your happy with it! I'm not saying it's a POS, I'm saying it's a lesser quality and if you dont offroad with it regularly then I would say it's fine, I would still replace the springs or at least that spring. From what I heard before I wouldnt put anything RC on anything of mine or my friends, it's just not worth it but then again, I offroad on the regular basis and I'm willing to hold out as long as I need to before I get my lift. But sorry about the semi-rant before, we're all here for the samething, to help each other out with jeep stuff and we each have different opionions and options we would take.
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #23
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentialYJNewb View Post
Wow this is really weird I was also in an intersection accident a few days ago and nothing really happened except my tube fender bent a little bit, but the shackle bent inward a bit and the spring is a little messed up. I'll take a picture tomorrow
Sounds exactly like mine. I'd be interested to see your pics.
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm glad your happy with it! I'm not saying it's a POS, I'm saying it's a lesser quality and if you dont offroad with it regularly then I would say it's fine, I would still replace the springs or at least that spring. From what I heard before I wouldnt put anything RC on anything of mine or my friends, it's just not worth it but then again, I offroad on the regular basis and I'm willing to hold out as long as I need to before I get my lift. But sorry about the semi-rant before, we're all here for the samething, to help each other out with jeep stuff and we each have different opionions and options we would take.
I get what you are saying. If I had the cash I would go for the best, whatever that is. I, on the other hand, am married and am with child. I own a house, make payments, and just got hosed for $2500 on my real estate tax this month. So I think I will forgo switching out the spring and see what happens.
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
afgd1
1984 CJ7 

seeif you can find a spring shop have them ck it if no problem the it should be okay they have ways to ck them like with stress and bend in them they can also get right ones to replace some times even cheaper
afgd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #26
jojojeep1
1988 YJ Wrangler 

man i see that

Last edited by jojojeep1; 09-12-2011 at 07:37 AM..
jojojeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #27
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojeep1 View Post
man i see that you fu-king dummys put other pepole down , some of you still live home with mommy and daddy , and some of us are mommy and daddys and pay $4000 or $ 5000 per month to live, some of you guys still live home with mom and dad DON'T PAY A DIME TO LIVE THERE so you can aford a better lifts or what ever you spend you money on. but for us guys who shell out the big bucks every month we get what we can aford , just think of the rigs we would have if we lived home with mommy.
OH crawl back under a rock. None of this was bashing anyone's rig or what lift they have, I dont like RC, simple as that, it's personal opion from what I've seen. But I guess your singling me out because I'm the one that suggested to change all 4 simplily because I dont like it, not because it's cheap (which is a good thing) its that it isnt up for the quality that I would use. But I might live at home yet but I'm only a senior in high school but I work 40 hours a week (80 hours EVERY week between school and work), I pay for everything myself, I dont want free hand outs, I rather work for every inch I get. But instead of smearing all over the forum about this, PM if you really want to discuss this, I'm not that intrested in it.

But back to actually helping with this thread, you could take it to a spring shop and just ask them to look at it, it wont cost anything and they could say they could fix that spring for less than the cost of a new one, or even say that you dont need a spring at all.
Unread 09-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #28
liveanadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

REPLACE IT ,,,, i had the top leaf snap on me after i bent it like that .... fortunately it broke pulling into my driveway after a 40 mile ride on the high way with my wife and 2 freinds in the jeep ..... it would have been bad if it had happened 5 minutes earlier at 70 mph

remember that top leaf is all that holds your front axel in place on a yj
liveanadventure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #29
PotentialYJNewb
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This is the damage I had from the accident.

Cause of concern? How can I bend that shackle back and adjust it and does that spring "cap"... I guess you what call it.. need to be put back?

PotentialYJNewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #30
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojeep1 View Post
the bend starts wright at the 4th spring , just put a bottle jack wright where the bend starts jack it up then dance on the front bumber that should bend it wright back , if not add a little heat to it then try it , if that dont work get a new one there only $55 i just put in four new ones it cost me $220 . P.S sounds cheesy but it just may work.
Spell Check much ?

They are called springs for a reason. They are constructed from spring steel. If springs are bent (or flexed) beyond their normal range of flex, they are damaged and can potentially fail. Applying heat to a spring can change the "set" of the spring steel and it will sag.

Damaged springs need to be replaced for proper function and for safety reasons.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.