Damage to leaf spring. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Damage to leaf spring.

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Damage to leaf spring.

Hey everyone, the other day I was a 4way stop and I was hit by someone who did not have the right of way. Good thing I had a 4 inch lift on it because my right side fender would have been trashed. At first look, only the standard metal bumper got bent in. Then with further inspection later it turns out my right front leaf spring was also damaged. Look at the pictures, I was wondering if you think I should replace it. I'm asking because I REALLY don't want to have to replace it. But I am assuming that I will have to. The second picture shows the front. It looks ok but I included it because I want to show that plastic piece that is sandwiched between the separate leaves is still intact. I hope I explained that correctly. In the rear you can see the leaves have seperated and the plastic piece has detached. Do I need to replace the spring?

_nik0308.jpg   _nik0305.jpg   _nik0310.jpg  
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would replace it if it were mine, especially since the accident was not your fault and I'm assuming the other driver's insurance will have to cover it. Maybe you can get a "free" new suspension???
Unread 09-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would replace it too... But you can buy the single leaf spring and its not too $$$ or as time consuming as replacing them all
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Of course you should replace that spring. If it fails, what is going to happen to the axle ?

You should also be looking at the axle for additional damage to the knuckle, steering, ball joints, axle tube, or anything else with the axle/suspension that could be damaged by a hit hard enough to damage a leaf spring.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRYDE001 View Post
I would replace it if it were mine, especially since the accident was not your fault and I'm assuming the other driver's insurance will have to cover it. Maybe you can get a "free" new suspension???
Yeah I wish. It was late at night and no witnesses. Both of us are claiming we had the right of way (BS) and so both insurance companies are not paying up because there is no proof of fault. Typical...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
I would replace it too... But you can buy the single leaf spring and its not too $$$ or as time consuming as replacing them all
I think it's like $90 for one. The other guy's front right side was all messed up. I just have to replace my bumper (already done) and my leaf spring, a total of like $200. He probably will have to shell out, easily, over $1000.

It's not the money that irks me. I just don't want to put the thing on. I just installed this lift 3 months ago. Oh well, I have no choice. Thanks guys!!
Unread 09-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Of course you should replace that spring. If it fails, what is going to happen to the axle ?

You should also be looking at the axle for additional damage to the knuckle, steering, ball joints, axle tube, or anything else with the axle/suspension that could be damaged by a hit hard enough to damage a leaf spring.
At an eye's glance, it looks fine. Nothing glaring out to me. I'll get a closer look today, though. Thanks.
Unread 09-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinDC View Post
It's not the money that irks me. I just don't want to put the thing on. I just installed this lift 3 months ago. Oh well, I have no choice. Thanks guys!!
I know that feel
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

What brand of lift is it?
Unread 09-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRYDE001 View Post
What brand of lift is it?
Rough Country
Unread 09-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You might be able to take the spring apart and have it repaired, but replacement is probably a better plan.
jeepdude1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ya you could just get new pins and a Teflon pad to repair it but I agree with the other, replacing is the easiest method. Besides you don't want it to sag prematurely later on
Unread 09-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would just replace all the springs right away. It's only a matter of time till it sags, and I would replace that one, it's not at 100% which is leaving it weaker to break, whether on the street or on the trail, if money isnt a problem, take it to the local suspension shop and see what they say and have them do it, I see it costing less than $150 to have them replace it if it is an issue. But seeing that its RC, I would just get all new springs, the RC lifts are pretty good other than their springs...that's the only issue I have which is whats holding off my lift.
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuznick242 View Post
I would just replace all the springs right away. It's only a matter of time till it sags, and I would replace that one, it's not at 100% which is leaving it weaker to break, whether on the street or on the trail, if money isnt a problem, take it to the local suspension shop and see what they say and have them do it, I see it costing less than $150 to have them replace it if it is an issue. But seeing that its RC, I would just get all new springs, the RC lifts are pretty good other than their springs...that's the only issue I have which is whats holding off my lift.
isnt the springs the most important part of the lift, so if those suck how cold the 'rest' of it be any good.....

dont RC have a lifetime warranty.... delete this thread and sendthem a pic and tell the myou hit a log or something, one new spring at least...

like most I wold do all 4 Im nota RC fan AT ALL its no secret.. they wil all eventually sag, if it were me I would do BOTH front if nothing else, guaranteed they have sagged already, and replacing one is goona make you lean prolly.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
I know that feel
Hey RZA, whats up man? I saw on another thread you went home for a visit. How was it? My wife went back in beginning of the year (Jan). I heard it was snowing in Johannesburg a month back. That's crazy.
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
isnt the springs the most important part of the lift, so if those suck how cold the 'rest' of it be any good.....

dont RC have a lifetime warranty.... delete this thread and sendthem a pic and tell the myou hit a log or something, one new spring at least...

like most I wold do all 4 Im nota RC fan AT ALL its no secret.. they wil all eventually sag, if it were me I would do BOTH front if nothing else, guaranteed they have sagged already, and replacing one is goona make you lean prolly.
Well, they havent sagged at all yet. They are holding up well. But I see your point about the lean. That sucks. I really hated putting on this lift. At least I don't have any rusted bolts to take off. I suppose it will be somewhat easy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.