Dam Heater Core !!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dam Heater Core !!!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 06-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
pelos

Dam Heater Core !!!

how big of a pain is it to change the heater core for a yj. so here is the story i was driving stopped to get gas and a ***** load of water was comming out of my passanger side firewall.so is it tough to replace its a 88 jeep wrangler 4.2 inline 6

pelos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
sofixj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

had posted this before and got flamed, so I deleted it. I figured at the time, I was either going to get a "cool, that will help" or "what an idiot response" After someone else started a whole new thread on "How i do chang a heter", complete with "i dont now, me get my bok"responses, I figured it might be a little too low tech.
However, since a couple of people PM'd me, we have some newbies out there, and a few who are freezing their butts off and want to change out their heater core with as few surprises as possible, I'll put it back up. I am happy to report my skin is a little thicker now! HTH.

Not a very exciting mod, but cooler than a passenger floorboard full of antifreeze or freezing your ***** off. Below are the steps to help speed up the process.

1. Drain Coolant (even if you are only changing the motor. The whole assembly has to come out)
2. Disconnect heater hoses
3. Disconnect vent door cables (3 of them. Two in front, one on the side of the housing between said housing and body. One below passenger side speaker. (Unscrew the nut and slide the whole thing off each shaft.)
4. Disconnect blower motor wire. (On top of housing, center, 2 blade plug.)
5. Disconnect defroster duct. (I just loosened up the bottom clamp and removed it after the housing was out of the way.)
6. Remove nuts that attach heater housing studs to the engine compartment side of the dash panel. (This is where the pictures might help out.)

First off, remove the Battery and tray. There are four studs that hold it to the firewall, and two that attach it to the fender that are all 1/2 inch. The fuse box can be removed from the battery tray without disconnecting any wires. Three of the bolts are under the tray, and one is behind the valve cover, on the driver side. All of the nuts are the same size, 7/16. See pics.

7. Remove heater housing assembly by tiling it downward, to disengage it from the defroster duct. Pull it rearward and out from under the instrument panel.
Attached Images
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_) only in a JEEP
sofixj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, that'll about cover it. Try searching as well there is a post out there with fairly detailed pics, it's for changing the blower motor, but it's all in the same assembly anyhow.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Sounds like all the info is there for ya.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.