Dad's new toy, '95 4.0: Got some questions.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dad's new toy, '95 4.0: Got some questions....

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 03-02-2002, 11:41 PM   #1
Jay Raptor

Dad's new toy, '95 4.0: Got some questions....

My dad just bought a new work vehicle, a '95 Wrangler w/119,000 miles, 4.0L I-6, auto tranny and soft top. To go along with his Jeep Grand Cherokee.
It needs some touch-up and maybe a new exhuast (?) but other than that its in good shape.

Anything I should know about this model Jeep? i.e., any tips for engine performance or possible problems with the tranny, etc...? I LOVE tinkering with cars (my Neon R/T is a beast now! hehehe).
How hard is it to change the exhuast under it? I'm talking about from the muffler on back. I took just a quick peek under it and saw that it looks like it would be a tad bit more difficult to change than my R/T was. Any suggestion for a cheap/good muffler?
I've yet to drive this thing, but I can't wait til my dad gets the plates for it. I'll try to visit here everyday, my other home is at the Neons' message board (www.neons.org). Thanks for all the help and I can't wait to get starting on this thing!

Jay Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2002, 01:10 PM   #2
KPOM

Unless there's something wrong with the muffler you have now, there's really not much of a reason to change it. Jeeps aren't meant to be riced out, so changing a muffler on it isn't going to be that 30 horsepower mod that makes you run the quarter mile 4 seconds faster. And adding dual (y-piped) exhaust (if you're thinking of dual exhau--I mean mufflers) would be almost as futile and pointless as putting two 20 pound mufflers on a Neon..

Anhow, I'm somewhat new to working on Jeeps myself, I've got an 89 2.5, but I'm prepping a Chev 350 as we speak for a swap, so most of all I've done now is superficial/interior work. But if there's anything you need help with, feel free to ask. I've spent about two days living in my Jeep getting the godawful tan out.
Unread 03-03-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
Jay Raptor

Well, I don't think my dad really wants to modify it, other than to get it running smoothly. There is an exhuast leak somewhere and I looked at the muffler under it and its in pretty bad shape. So we aren't going for show, just function.

So, just wondering, how hard is it to change the muffler?
Jay Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.