D44 Swap in? pros N Cons? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D44 Swap in? pros N Cons?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 07-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
VABYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

D44 Swap in? pros N Cons?

i'm considering putting one in, i've heard of people doing this... i have a yj, what did the yj's have and what would be involved in this swap? what are the advantages? disadvantages? thanks!

Member number 1 of the official "I will never change my square headlights to circular headlights" club. AKA the IWNCMSHTCHC. also, the founder. and the only member.
VABYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Your considering putting in a dana 44 in the front or rear?

They come from the factory with a dana 35, your best bet for an easy swap in 44 would be one from an XJ, then move some spring perches and should be done. There was one on ebay for like $275

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Basically bolt in. Welding of spring perches is your major concern. Advantage of disc brakes if you find a newer one.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
VABYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, there's one for sale for a hundred bucks out of an isuzu rodeo (i think)... i've heard this is a popular mod but i don't know much about it, hence the nube question thread.

Member number 1 of the official "I will never change my square headlights to circular headlights" club. AKA the IWNCMSHTCHC. also, the founder. and the only member.
VABYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
88yj4.2
1988 YJ Wrangler 

in the rear a 44 from xj is you best bet, you need to do the spring perches , shock mounts , and drive shaft, need to be cutted arround an inch. the U joints are the same
over all an easy project, exactly the same width and bolt pattern, and bigger brakes. (I didt it so I know what im talking about)

in the front, if you whant to go with a stock low pinion dana 44, or a rubicon axle, I think is a waste of time and money if you have a Hi pinion dana 30.

Facts.
dana 30 and dana 44 pinion neck diameter is the same (1.185")

a reverse cut ring and pinion (hi pinion) is about 20-30% stronger than a low pinion. putting it in the same ball park than a 44 gears.
(Hi pinion is cut for a front axle, a low pinion is a rear axle gear spinning in reverse, using the cosat part of the teeth to apply power instead of the drive part)

the axle shafts in a stock dana 44 (chevy, ford...) have a diameter of 1.088" at the neck down section.(weakest point) a dana 30 has a minor diameter of 1.145". YES THE AXLES IN A STOCK 44 ARE WEAKER.

a rubicon axle uses a low pinion same tube diameter and same outer axle than a dana 30. over all problably the same.

the only way to have a stronger 44 is to have a custom one with hi pinion, after market shafts.............. LOts Of money................

so build your hi pinion 30 with a good locker or lsd (true tracs use the similar internals in a dana 44 and a 30), axle shafts with bigger u joints (95 yj or tj, xj or chromoly),
and and axle truss if you like to jump. and call it good.
Unread 07-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
ovrlnd

xj would be the easiest.
you can do any of these 44's in the rear with various required changes:
SJ centered 44 (waggy)
SJ model 20 (waggy)
passport or rodeo (plus cause it should have discs)
scout II

If you plan on having any type of real power I would scrap the dana 30. it is not stronger than a stock 44 especially the 3 pcs. garbage they put in the YJ. I went through 3 30's for bent housings at the shift motor. twisted knuckles and a slew of snapped shafts. I will tell you from experience that a d30 with 35's and 350sbc will not last long.

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.