D44 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D44 Swap

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
FarrellX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

D44 Swap

so the time has come. i have the d44 sitting in my garage begging to be put on. i jsut cant do the welding and what not myself. 1. i dont own a welder 2. therefore inever welded anything.

if i brought it to a shop...could they weld everything, like, without having the truck there? would they have the measurements and proper perches and what not?

also...i saw it a long time ago, but cant seem to find it. it was a website with wheel spacers/adapters made for certain applications like mine. i wanted to pick up the 1.25" for the front and rear eventually...but the d44 from the cherokee is slightly shorter then the d35 that was on there. following me? i want wheel spacers all the way around, but i also need the back ones to even out with the front. so i would need like an inch in the front and a 1.25" or so in the back. anyone have any ideA?

FarrellX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
raStapiMpjaY
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1) the D44 from the XJ is NOT shorter... it is the EXACT same width as the D35..... how do i know? lots and lots of research, I own one, and the XJ d44 was also used on the MJ and Export models of the YJ... if you look in the dealer catalog its the same exact part number just with the perches in different locations

if you want to get technical on the width there is some slight discrepencies going on with if it is the EXACT same width or overall 1/8" shorter (which equates to 1/16" on each side)... most people claim its the exact same, but if it isnt its not even noticable

what IS different in size is the center housing... the pinion/ujoint area (cant think of the exact name right now i just woke up) is just under 1" longer then the stock D35... BUT this works out perfect if you have lifted your jeep and the stock driveshaft is overextended it puts it back closer to normal ranges furthur eliminating vibrations

2) sadly you have to give them your truck for all the stuff to be welded on properly... first it needs to be put under the truck and the approximate locations measured out, then they tack on the perches & mounts, then they see if it sits correctly under the jeep, if not remove and retack then retest, then if finally correct fully weld it all and put it under the jeep to test it out...

sadly its not a simple 30min welding job, i had to outsource the tacking up/welding part myself
raStapiMpjaY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
FarrellX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

really? i did a quick measurement of the d44 in my garage, and the d35 on my wrangler, and it seemed like i was like an inch shorter or something. i guess it was just hard to get a good measurement of the 35 actually on the wrangler.

as for the lift, its only an inch and 1/4 for now. i thought id have to drill new holes in the perches and move the whole axle back ,thus extending my wheel base...or pay to have the ds shorted...which to me is just not an option.

someone told me i can jsut bring them the axle, and they shoudl be able to look up proper measurements, but that just didnt sound right to me.im gunna call a few shops and get some estimates/quotes on some stuff i need done. well, stuff i absolutley cant do myself. i would need to tow the truck there also, cause there is reason for the d44 swap...didnt just have some extra cash, ahah. we'll see...thanks for the help
FarrellX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
OhioYJ

Quote:
someone told me i can jsut bring them the axle
The problem is they won't know where to set your pinion angle, they would just be guessing without the Jeep there.

Also you know you want the rear axle narrower than the front. The front is wider on most every vehicle made to help with steering.
95 YJ: SOA, locked 44, locked 8.8, 37s, beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/aboutmel.html]My Build-Up Post[/URL] -- [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/kbl.html]SWB FAQ[/URL] -- Mike
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.