Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

D44 Swap

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  OhioYJ 
#1 ·
so the time has come. i have the d44 sitting in my garage begging to be put on. i jsut cant do the welding and what not myself. 1. i dont own a welder 2. therefore inever welded anything.

if i brought it to a shop...could they weld everything, like, without having the truck there? would they have the measurements and proper perches and what not?

also...i saw it a long time ago, but cant seem to find it. it was a website with wheel spacers/adapters made for certain applications like mine. i wanted to pick up the 1.25" for the front and rear eventually...but the d44 from the cherokee is slightly shorter then the d35 that was on there. following me? i want wheel spacers all the way around, but i also need the back ones to even out with the front. so i would need like an inch in the front and a 1.25" or so in the back. anyone have any ideA?

#2 ·
1) the D44 from the XJ is NOT shorter... it is the EXACT same width as the D35..... how do i know? lots and lots of research, I own one, and the XJ d44 was also used on the MJ and Export models of the YJ... if you look in the dealer catalog its the same exact part number just with the perches in different locations

if you want to get technical on the width there is some slight discrepencies going on with if it is the EXACT same width or overall 1/8" shorter (which equates to 1/16" on each side)... most people claim its the exact same, but if it isnt its not even noticable

what IS different in size is the center housing... the pinion/ujoint area (cant think of the exact name right now i just woke up) is just under 1" longer then the stock D35... BUT this works out perfect if you have lifted your jeep and the stock driveshaft is overextended it puts it back closer to normal ranges furthur eliminating vibrations

2) sadly you have to give them your truck for all the stuff to be welded on properly... first it needs to be put under the truck and the approximate locations measured out, then they tack on the perches & mounts, then they see if it sits correctly under the jeep, if not remove and retack then retest, then if finally correct fully weld it all and put it under the jeep to test it out...

sadly its not a simple 30min welding job, i had to outsource the tacking up/welding part myself

#3 ·
really? i did a quick measurement of the d44 in my garage, and the d35 on my wrangler, and it seemed like i was like an inch shorter or something. i guess it was just hard to get a good measurement of the 35 actually on the wrangler.

as for the lift, its only an inch and 1/4 for now. i thought id have to drill new holes in the perches and move the whole axle back ,thus extending my wheel base...or pay to have the ds shorted...which to me is just not an option.

someone told me i can jsut bring them the axle, and they shoudl be able to look up proper measurements, but that just didnt sound right to me.im gunna call a few shops and get some estimates/quotes on some stuff i need done. well, stuff i absolutley cant do myself. i would need to tow the truck there also, cause there is reason for the d44 swap...didnt just have some extra cash, ahah. we'll see...thanks for the help

#4 ·
someone told me i can jsut bring them the axle
The problem is they won't know where to set your pinion angle, they would just be guessing without the Jeep there.

Also you know you want the rear axle narrower than the front. The front is wider on most every vehicle made to help with steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.