D44 and D60 question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D44 and D60 question...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Dallas333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

D44 and D60 question...

Don't know a ton about axles and axle swaps, but I'm thinking I'm keeping my jeep for a long while so I'm starting to look at engine and axle swaps. Wondering if these axles would work for my jeep and after buying, what kind of expenses am I looking at to make me ready to be put in?

http://waco.craigslist.org/pts/2834469426.html

Also, is this a good price for both if they will work? Thanks in advance gents!

[B][U]Disclaimer:[/U][/B] We should all have hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. - Chevelle
Dallas333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

They are not going to be a direct bolt it if that is what you are asking. You will need to remove brackets and weld new spring perches and shock tabs on. What size tires are you planning on running? With a 60 in the rear 37" tire is almost to small for ground clearance for the diff so you need to be thinking real hard about running 40s. Is this your daily driver? If so that four banger is not going to like this setup.

It looks like they are probably junkyard pulls. So plan on complete rebuilds. Figure you will spend 2k minimum to get them under your Jeep. That's if you keep them full width and do not cut them down.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Dallas333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Whoa... Thanks for the info! May as well delete this thread lol. I'll just wait on an 8.8

[B][U]Disclaimer:[/U][/B] We should all have hope and look towards the day where man realizes that the sounds exiting his mouth are mostly complaints and a change occurs. - Chevelle
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Look for the 8.8 or a dana 44

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I have those exact axles... full width HP44/HD60 rear. Those look like they can use a rebuild, then you have spring perches, shock tabs and steering. You can use your springs and even keep the factory mounts. The pricey part will be the steering, might as well go hi steer. You can get a conversion u joint to run the driveshafts you have now. It is doable... but it will be a decent chunk of money. Cheaper if you can weld but it is a killer setup!

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamc View Post
They are not going to be a direct bolt it if that is what you are asking. You will need to remove brackets and weld new spring perches and shock tabs on. What size tires are you planning on running? With a 60 in the rear 37" tire is almost to small for ground clearance for the diff so you need to be thinking real hard about running 40s. Is this your daily driver? If so that four banger is not going to like this setup.

It looks like they are probably junkyard pulls. So plan on complete rebuilds. Figure you will spend 2k minimum to get them under your Jeep. That's if you keep them full width and do not cut them down.
37s is pushing it for a dana 44, 40s are much too big. Also that rear 60 would need to have the spindles bored to accept 35 spline shafts otherwise its not strong enough for 40s either. Personally i would just go to one tons if youre going to do that much work.

No need to cut them down, just run some hummer h2 wheels on it, or another wheel with a lot of backspacing.

Make sure you have access to a welder/fab tools and are able to have your jeep on jackstands for quite some time before you commit to doing a swap like that.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Dallas333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8

Ok, found this one on CL...

removed from 2002 ford f150 LWB 5spd v6 - complete rear end with brakes rotors hubs calipers leaf spring suspension etc....

has a bad axle seal , good for parts replacement projects scrap metal hot rod hotrod truck pickup car 351 289 302 5.0

I would have to have it regeared, but he's asking $85 for everything... I could probably get him down to $60. Would this be a good candidate for a swap?
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas333
Ok, found this one on CL...

removed from 2002 ford f150 LWB 5spd v6 - complete rear end with brakes rotors hubs calipers leaf spring suspension etc....

has a bad axle seal , good for parts replacement projects scrap metal hot rod hotrod truck pickup car 351 289 302 5.0

I would have to have it regeared, but he's asking $85 for everything... I could probably get him down to $60. Would this be a good candidate for a swap?
It will be wider than the Explorer 8.8 and the bolt pattern will not match the 5x4.5 bolt pattern.
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
wrngleryj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

To the OP I know this is a little off topic, but would anyone know the lowest gear ratios you can swap into the ford 8.8 or the Dana 44?
wrngleryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrngleryj
To the OP I know this is a little off topic, but would anyone know the lowest gear ratios you can swap into the ford 8.8 or the Dana 44?
5.13 on the 8.8 and 5.38 on the 44. That's off the top of my head without doing any research. I could be wrong.
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

nothing wrong with a 60 and 35" tires. the ground clearance issue isnt that big of a deal especially spring-under. theres more clearance issues to deal with.

a 60 and 44 combo that match would be a fine thing to swap in. no need do the 8.8 like everyone else only to be stuck in terms of a front axle swap. id do a 60 over an 8.8 any day particularly if i could get a matching hp d44 for the front and rid myself of the turdy.
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
nothing wrong with a 60 and 35" tires. the ground clearance issue isnt that big of a deal especially spring-under. theres more clearance issues to deal with.

a 60 and 44 combo that match would be a fine thing to swap in. no need do the 8.8 like everyone else only to be stuck in terms of a front axle swap. id do a 60 over an 8.8 any day particularly if i could get a matching hp d44 for the front and rid myself of the turdy.
X2... i ran a 14 bolt and hp 44 in my old chevy on 36s. And i swapped to CTM u-joints and ran 44" TSLs on the dana 44 front axle and never broke it while i owned it in 1.5yr.

You can run 35s on your front dana 30, just swap the rear...
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
wrngleryj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
5.13 on the 8.8 and 5.38 on the 44. That's off the top of my head without doing any research. I could be wrong.
Sounds good. Thanks!
wrngleryj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.