D35 Explosion! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D35 Explosion!

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 02-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

D35 Explosion!

Well it might not have been an explosion per say but I destroyed the ring and pinion on my D35 with 456's and 35s. Thanks to a heavy foot and the Jeep hopping up a ledge I'm in need of repair.

I DD my Jeep and do some medium difficulty wheeling so, I knew this was going to happen eventually.

It started popping really loud, so I pulled the bulging diff cover off and saw this:

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/...psahhsse8l.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/...pslgqlfxeo.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/...pssqesjkfl.jpg

Apparently the incredible, raw performance of the 2.5L was too much. Instead of throwing more money at the D35, I want to upgrade rather than replace. I'm strongly considering the 8.8 swap seeing as though I own a 93 ford explorer (about ready for scrapping) and a 1987 f-150 (also in rough shape)

In addition to swapping the axle, I'm probably going to re-gear to better compensate for the 35s. 5.13s would be ideal but seeing as though the d30 only gears to 4.88 I'll probably be going for that.

I want this thread to be a testament to the weakness of the D35, showing that upgrading is really an eventual must if you want to run larger tires.

I also want to hear from some people running the 4.88s with the 4cly and 35s or larger to see how it handles specifically on the highway and freeway.

KreepyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you already have 4.56 I wouldn't regear to 4.88, I don't think it will be all that noticeable of a difference, I think the money could be spent better. I would get a new front axle(D44,etc...) and run 5.13 or somewhere along those lines. I run 35's and 4.88's with my 4 banger and it's not horrible in town but leaves a lot to be desired on the highway. I think the 5.13's would be a little extra pep, and more worth while then just going up to 4.88's.

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonYJReed View Post
If you already have 4.56 I wouldn't regear to 4.88, I don't think it will be all that noticeable of a difference, I think the money could be spent better. I would get a new front axle(D44,etc...) and run 5.13 or somewhere along those lines. I run 35's and 4.88's with my 4 banger and it's not horrible in town but leaves a lot to be desired on the highway. I think the 5.13's would be a little extra pep, and more worth while then just going up to 4.88's.
Ya this would be the ultimate route to go if I had the funds! Guess I'll just have to keep saving! This is the route I'll probably end up going seeing as though I'll never go to smaller tires and would probably save some money in the future.
Unread 02-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is this the normal D35 carnage. I thought the 35 typically broke an axle shaft.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post
Is this the normal D35 carnage. I thought the 35 typically broke an axle shaft.
I was told the weak point was the ring and pinion. A lot of it was having the 4.56 gears as well. When you lower the ratio, I think anyways, that the ring and pinion weakens. Maybe the D35 drawback is the axle shafts, but my problem came to the gears. Either way the D35 is unsuited for a ferocious 112 HP and 35s.
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

And...boom goes the dynamite.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me

Actually you did not break what most others break in a 35, which is the shaft and or pinion. Gears suck, but will not leave you dragging your hind leg getting out of the woods.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How long were you able to run this set up before it blew up? Your axle is locked and you're running 35" tires, am I right?
chicalibro3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicalibro3 View Post
How long were you able to run this set up before it blew up? Your axle is locked and you're running 35" tires, am I right?
I bought the jeep with 31s/4.56s in October 2012. I put the 35's on a year ago and it broke last week. All in all, longer than I thought but the failure was inevitable. I'm not sure how long the 4.56s were in there but I put the locker in May of 2013. So, with 35s, 4.56s, a locker, and the 2.5 all together, it lasted about 8 months.
Unread 02-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Actually you did not break what most others break in a 35, which is the shaft and or pinion. Gears suck, but will not leave you dragging your hind leg getting out of the woods.
I broke splines on the pinion as well, but it was not as bad as the ring gear. Ya luckily the shafts did't break during on of the wheeling trips. That would have been a nightmare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.