D35 dying? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D35 dying?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
jmmorgan82

D35 dying?

I've had some drivetrain noise for quite some time now. Tranny has been replaced and xfer case checked out OK. Now I've got a whining and grinding sound whenever I am moving and there is no load on the drivetrain. This happens in gear and in neutral, clutch in or out. I noticed today the rear pinion seal seems to be shot, and there is 1/4" or more of play in the rear pinion yoke. I took a video with my phone set right under the rear end. Do you guys think it is time for a swap, or is there a "relatively" cheap, easy fix to get me by for a few more months? Any input is appreciated.

Video is on Photobucket, you have to click image to view it.

jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have no idea how to fix it cheap but it is time for an 8.8 swap. I just got mine back from the shop and just need to install. Mobile welder coming by Tuesday we'll see how it goes.

I searched for a long time but it was Craigslist hit where I found it not the JY. They go quick here in Vegas and hard to find. Good luck.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the cheapest way but not the best way is to find one at the wrecker and bolt it in. ive had 2 d35's go . one in my wrangler which was upgraded to a d44 and on in my cherokee which was the sprder gears. by the time i got done with it it would have been cheaper and easier to swap the whole thing out.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
jmmorgan82

Weather finally cleared up enough for me to pop the differential cover off, and found that the pinion was hitting the carrier. Dropped it off at the shop today for an estimate. Spider gears looked good and I didn't see any noticeable damage to the ring gear. There was also minimal silver (metal) as well.

Unread 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

wow thats not good. looks like the outer pinion bearing let loose ,mabey the nut and the pinion is driving into the carrier
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
jmmorgan82

Do you think that would cause the carrier to be unusable or would it be more of a cosmetic flaw? I'm still waiting for an estimate from the shop, just hope they don't try to take me too hard or it may be down for a couple weeks while I source everything for an 8.8 swap.
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i dont think it hurt the carrier from the picture but it couldnt of been to good for the pinion. you might get some life out of it tho . u hate to put much $ into a d35. best case senerio you they put in new pinion bearings crush sleeve and seal , so maybe $220 - $260
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
basemntboy21
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bump for updates. Was this repaired or upgraded?
basemntboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

How long has it been noisy. if it just started, my guess is that if you can reset the ring and pinion for a good pattern, it shoud be OK.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.