D30 rt axle seal(solid axle shaft)_ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 rt axle seal(solid axle shaft)_

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #16
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bumping this thread back to page one. Any help would be appreciated.

Little more info. I am running the Alloy USA 30 spline front shafts and need to find the passenger side axle seals. Anyone have an idea? I have been working with quadratec and the people at Rugged Ridge and Omix-ADA and still no go. Also they are telling me there should be two seals for the right axle tube. I can really only think of one seal is needed and that is at the carrier but they are saying also one at the CAD area. HUMMMMMMM

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
Rabbitsh
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I went to the mechanic to change oil seals few weeks ago, he told me to buy 3 seals, 2 of it was together in the CAD area and the other right in the ball.
Later i went to a trail in other city and a friend told me that the seals close to the CAD is like for a reforcement but not necessary needed. The seal in the ball of the differential is enough.

Thats what he told me. I still run with the seals near the CAD.
Rabbitsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitsh View Post
I went to the mechanic to change oil seals few weeks ago, he told me to buy 3 seals, 2 of it was together in the CAD area and the other right in the ball.
Later i went to a trail in other city and a friend told me that the seals close to the CAD is like for a reforcement but not necessary needed. The seal in the ball of the differential is enough.

Thats what he told me. I still run with the seals near the CAD.
The normal non disconnect shafts (XJ, TJ) are not machined for a seal at the cad location so it will get ripped up pretty quickly.

But, I'm pretty sure the Alloy USA disco replacement shafts do have a sealing surface there since they are meant as a DIY replacement for the cad system.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
The normal non disconnect shafts (XJ, TJ) are not machined for a seal at the cad location so it will get ripped up pretty quickly.

But, I'm pretty sure the Alloy USA disco replacement shafts do have a sealing surface there since they are meant as a DIY replacement for the cad system.
I am running the AlloyUSA setup.
You are correct.
I put my pass seal where the old seal came from, in the cad. The kit I got(a super 30 kit) came with 2 different seals, one for the diff on the drivers side, and one for the cad.
No leaks 6 years later. It did...weap...a bit at first.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
I am running the AlloyUSA setup.
You are correct.
I put my pass seal where the old seal came from, in the cad. The kit I got(a super 30 kit) came with 2 different seals, one for the diff on the drivers side, and one for the cad.
No leaks 6 years later. It did...weap...a bit at first.
Thank you sir. All I got, or that I can remember is only one seal, that was put in the left side carrier of the axle. I do not remember putting a seal at the cad and when I took the axle apart to fix the leak, there was a seal at the outer portion of the CAD but I think it was left there from the original axle..

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jeepster, you are running the 30 spline shafts correct?

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
fbv193
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How much bigger are the 30 spline shafts at the seal ? When i did my solid shaft conversion, I used the Seals-It EAS1-05. It seemed that the Seals-It seal may be tolerant of a wider variety of shaft sizes.
fbv193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbv193 View Post
how much bigger are the 30 spline shafts at the seal ? When i did my solid shaft conversion, i used the seals-it eas1-05. It seemed that the seals-it seal may be tolerant of a wider variety of shaft sizes.
photo-1-8-.jpg

photo-2-10-.jpg

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Screw all this dealing with quadratec and OMIX-ADA on this seal. Going to take measurements of the tube and the axle shaft and call a place here in town that told me they can come up with a seal off my measurements.

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Got my seal problem taken care of. Took a measurement of the inside diameter of the tube next to the carrier, went down to a company called Ready Bearing with my measurements and found a seal that will work.

Federal Mogul seal. 33x50x12 is the one I went with. Sure looks like it will work, will know later today when I test drive it.

Thanks to everyone here who responded with their advice.

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.