D30 inner seal question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 inner seal question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
jimmybob67
1994 YJ Wrangler 

D30 inner seal question.

Ok so I had to remove my right side (passenger) steering knuckle to ream the tie rod socket. All went well and drives great. Today I looked under the same area to find gear lube on the floor. Question is... If it wasnt leaking before I pulled the short shaft why is it now. Isnt the oil seal in the pumpkin? What am I missing here?

jimmybob67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the seal is in the pumpkin. You may have knocked the spring in the seal loose when you put the axle shaft back in.
When I pull my axles I use some emery cloth on the area that the axle shaft that rides on the seal. I also put some grease on the shaft.
It also may be some of the gear lube came out along with the shaft.
I would keep a eye on the gear lube level and the end of the axle tube. It could quit.
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
jimmybob67
1994 YJ Wrangler 

OK... but its a 2 piece axle the outer ending at the CAD. Is there a seal there I should worry about at the CAD? I have seen both yes and no.
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Where was the oil coming from? I can't remember but I thought with the two piece axle shaft, the seal should be at the knuckle side of the cad shift fork housing in the tube so the gear oil will lube the cad system. I put tj shafts in a while ago so I could be wrong.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is no seal at the pumpkin on the passenger when it's stock; the only seal on that side is on the outboard side of the CAD. Chances are it was old and dry or you dragged the axle over it.

You can put a seal inside the diff, if you do a one piece axle swap. Otherwise just replace what you have. It's a pita to change because of the limited access so get a couple extra and read a few write ups first.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickabis
Where was the oil coming from? I can't remember but I thought with the two piece axle shaft, the seal should be at the knuckle side of the cad shift fork housing in the tube so the gear oil will lube the cad system. I put tj shafts in a while ago so I could be wrong.
What did you do to the cad when you move to tj/cherokee shafts? Was it slide in and ride?
evanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
There is no seal at the pumpkin on the passenger when it's stock; the only seal on that side is on the outboard side of the CAD. Chances are it was old and dry or you dragged the axle over it.

You can put a seal inside the diff, if you do a one piece axle swap. Otherwise just replace what you have. It's a pita to change because of the limited access so get a couple extra and read a few write ups first.
oops sorry it has been a while since I had the 30 in front of my Jeep.
If you need a hand putting a new seal in send me a PM. I would be glad to help. (I am in Morton IL)
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjeep

What did you do to the cad when you move to tj/cherokee shafts? Was it slide in and ride?
I left the vac motor and fork in the tube, it doesn't ride on the shaft or do anything but slide back and forth when I shift into 4wd, I left it all there because I didn't make a block off plate, to lazy, and I still have my 4wd light.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
jimmybob67
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

I found a write up on it. Now it all makes sense, shouldnt be too hard to do.
Unread 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
jimmybob67
1994 YJ Wrangler 

for those who have done this... is this the correct seal for the CAD side of the axle?
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...843_0159642529
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If your putting back to stock specs then no, but if your doing the tj shaft upgrade then

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
jimmybob67
1994 YJ Wrangler 

going back to stock. but cant seem to find the right one.
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The description you need to give them is dana/spicer 30, front right w/ disconnect. At oreilly's its National brand, part # 710202. the one you showed above looks like the left side, (yeah, i know it says right) or maybe is for the non- disconnect type dana 30.

The $100,000,000.00 piece of advice is.......... Pick up a couple of extra seals and a bucket full of patience.

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by jeep108; 09-15-2012 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Sapeling
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
jimmybob67
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well The front end is all torn apart.
There was some dirt inside the CAD housing and in the outer tube. The seal looks and feels good. Smooth and the spring is still there. Did your seals have visible wear or tears??? I would like to think the leak was caused by the amount dirt around the seal. Dont want to go through the hell of replacing the seal if not needed.
What do you think?
Also the intermediate shaft just pulls out. Is this normal? I was thinking there was a C clip in there??
Unread 09-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybob67 View Post
Well The front end is all torn apart.
There was some dirt inside the CAD housing and in the outer tube. The seal looks and feels good. Smooth and the spring is still there. Did your seals have visible wear or tears??? I would like to think the leak was caused by the amount dirt around the seal. Dont want to go through the hell of replacing the seal if not needed.
What do you think?
Also the intermediate shaft just pulls out. Is this normal? I was thinking there was a C clip in there??
I have heard that sometimes there is a c clip in there from the factory but it's not required and does not have to be in place.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.