D30 gearing? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 gearing?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
not when you can get a yj 4.11 axle that will bolt in directly and have the same thing... run the 8.8 with 4.10's while you gather parts for the 4.88 regear if you feel that you need it..

if you can live with it then your mission is complete without much work at all and you most likely have extra shafts/brake parts/etc left off of the old stock axle.
i dont think you are quite following along here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozerPeej View Post
I haven't looked into how much a 3.73 carrier costs, but would it be worth the time to save the money and get one a 4.11 carrier from a junkyard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozerPeej View Post
I was meaning take the carrier out of the housing, I already have tj shafts in so I don't have the disconnect axles. If you read my post I was only talking about taking the carrier out of junkyard XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
carriers are like $60.00 new. totally not worth pulling from a yard.

Unread 09-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you're going to get a new carrier, make sure it has ARB stamped on the side...
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #18
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
YJ's come with HP30's.
Quote:
Most TJ guys don't know any better.

This is true and they come with that cr@ppy vacuum disconnect. That is why I recommended the swap.

Some TJ guys are smart enough to get TJs....
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #19
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
This is true and they come with that cr@ppy vacuum disconnect. That is why I recommended the swap.
You really think we are going to buy this crap? A simple block off plate, new inner axle seal and a TJ/XJ one piece shaft and the disconnect is gone. Why waste all the time grinding and welding when you don't have to? If you don't know, "you wouldn't " is the right answer. You would be the only person I have ever met to make this recommendation.

Quote:
TJ guys are smart enough not to swap in front Rubi 44's usually as well... Go educate yourself a little more before attempting to make uneducated recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #21
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

To be fair, you didn't say anything about swapping shafts. Swapping the entire axle would be completely silly as Joe pointed out.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
DoozerPeej
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Okay I guess I should have said I have already done the TJ/XJ shaft swap, so I don't have a disconnect axle shaft. This post was mainly concerning the carriers inside the differential. I plan on getting a Ford 8.8 and building it with 4.88 gears and then get everything I need to gear my D30HP to 4.88 before I tear into my axles. That way I do everything at once and I don't have to regear more than once. So the ford 8.8 doesn't require new carriers for 3.73 and up? thats good to know. When I get my Ford 8.8 I plan on getting one with LSD, and then get a locker for the front, ARB's are nice, strong, the best, but they are also expensive and require an air compressor of some sort. I was thinking of getting an auto locker due to the jeep not being a daily driver, so a little feedback when turning isn't that big of a deal.
DoozerPeej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #23
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You really think we are going to buy this crap? A simple block off plate, new inner axle seal and a TJ/XJ one piece shaft and the disconnect is gone. Why waste all the time grinding and welding when you don't have to? If you don't know, "you wouldn't " is the right answer. You would be the only person I have ever met to make this recommendation.

TJ guys are smart enough not to swap in front Rubi 44's usually as well... Go educate yourself a little more before attempting to make uneducated recommendations.
This is why a Moderator (with a YJ) would talk about the same thing. I have helped others install the TJ shafts in their YJ (vacuum disco) and install the cover plate too; and they still ended up installing a HP from a Cherokee. We don't need to be bashing each other over what one person might say on the forum. I did not give him BAD information, I gave him MY opinion (whether you agree or not) and he can read everyone's opinions and make a decision as to what he wants to do with his jeep. Otherwise he would not have even ask the question in the first place.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
How about we backtrack just slightly?

Are you willing to pull a HPD30 from an XJ, then cut off the passenger side upper control arm mount (the driver side upper control arm mount is cast into the top of the housing, so generally you'd leave it there).

Then remove all the lower control arm mounts.

Remove the coil buckets.

Weld on new shock mounts (the XJ shock mounts are in a bad location to use with a leaf sprung YJ).

Weld on new spring perches and set the pinion angle correctly.

Migrate your YJ steering over to the XJ axle.

Do away with the YJ's stock tracbar and swaybar since the XJ uses a different set-up.

More than likely you can reuse your old spring plates (but weld closed some of the holes for the ubolts & redrill new holes where necessary) but get new ubolts & tall nuts since the XJ housing doesn't have the vacuum disco system if you get the right one. With an XJ housing, not all of your ubolts are the same size as the YJ's.

These are the minumum items you'd need to deal with if you swapped the "correct" non-disco XJ HPD30 housing that already has the gears you want.

If you are not willing to do all of what I mentioned above - then maybe get a YJ HPD30 from a 4cyl 5 speed & it'll have 4.10's from the factory & you won't have to deal with what I listed above.
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #24
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is why a Moderator (with a YJ) would talk about the same thing.
Read what he posted again, tell me where in there he suggests it is a good idea.

Quote:
I have helped others install the TJ shafts in their YJ (vacuum disco) and install the cover plate too;
If you have done it, you would know how simple it is and how much more pointless work it would be to install a XJ HP30.

Quote:
and they still ended up installing a HP from a Cherokee.

Quote:
We don't need to be bashing each other over what one person might say on the forum. I did not give him BAD information, I gave him MY opinion (whether you agree or not) and he can read everyone's opinions and make a decision as to what he wants to do with his jeep. Otherwise he would not have even ask the question in the first place.....
It is definantly a bad suggestion on your part that is alot of pointless work. You can preach it until your blue in the face, that won't make it a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.