D30 ball joint replacement questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 ball joint replacement questions.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
chrisoncoffee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

D30 ball joint replacement questions.

I was quoted $680 dollars (with an employee discount) from the local Sullivan Tire to replace all 4. Needless to say I won't be shelling out that much money. I plan on doing it myself using this write up:

http://www.higherground4x4.com/forum...ep-XJ-YJ-or-ZJ

Here are my questions:

1. Sullivan tire sighted the fact that my vehicle is leaf sprung and not coils as a reason why the job was so labor intensive and expensive. After looking at my FSM I cannot figure out why this makes a difference at all. Can anyone think of why this might be? All the writeups I've found have been for coil sprung vehicles and it seems to me like the procedure would be the same but I don't want to be missing something before I rip everything apart.

2. Is there a way to make the autozone loaner tool workable or should I go out and buy one? If so what do people recommend?

Thanks for helping a n00b. Take care,
CB

chrisoncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1) BS

2) Check out your local auto parts stores, rent the ball joint tool that has the most adapters. You can make the basic straight adapters do the job, it is just slightly more difficult. A full adapter kit has angled adapters to deal with Jeep steering knuckles.

For the next time, I have considered buying the Jeep/Chrysler adapter kit and then just renting the press.

The Harbor Freight ball joint press is too light weight for stubborn ball joints. The rental kits are usually professional quality tools.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Get the loaner from Advance it's a complete kit. It comes with the adapters for 4X4's. The good thing is you can keep it (rent it) for 30 days and they give you every penny back.
ChicagoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
chrisoncoffee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Thanks for the responses. The extra labor for leaf springs blew my mind. I wonder what kind of games alldata is playing there. Wish me luck.
Unread 09-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
ChicagoYJ
Yes, I Understand!

1989 YJ Wrangler 

If my memory serves me correctly I believe this is the part# at Advance:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2107_____

Just like this one but I used the OTC.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2003_____

Cost me 180.00 to rent about a year ago. Just make sure you let them know you want the kit that comes with the 4x4 adapters.

Quote:
The extra labor for leaf springs blew my mind.
I don't remember having to do anything to or with my leafs when I did mine.
ChicagoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can do all 4 joints for about $200 with good joints.

I just did one side on my leaf sprung D30 this afternoon.
Used the loan-a tool press from AZ. You do have to shim the press when using it due to the angled "C".
I just used a screwdriver shaft to shim it.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did discuss ball joint replacement in a thread, looked into this subject some. Feel free to take a look here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-30-a-1140042/
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Slapahoe
Registered Jerk

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've done ball joints on three different Wranglers and two Blazers. A ball joint press from Harbor Freight is what I bought and it gets the job done flawlessly.

All you need is the harbor freight press, the ball joints with the proper cotter pins, a big enough socket for the nuts, beers, an afternoon, and some marine grease for the ball joints.

Super easy job.
Unread 09-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sometimes they can be a real hassle to get out. Take your time and hang in there. Good Luck.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #10
sitedzn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, I call BS too.

I bought this: http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...-kit-4065.html

Then, spent about 2 hrs (first time replacing ball joints so I was worried about breaking something) and I was done.

BTW, I have TONS of HFT stuff and never had an issue with any of it. I had a 24" breaker bar, with a 5' steel pipe on it, to get the ball joints off. Impact wrench didn't have enough a$$ in it.
[COLOR="red"]Big Daddy Off Road rock sliders[/COLOR]
35x12.5 BFG A/T KOs, XRC-8000

[COLOR="red"]I love installing new stuff.[/COLOR]
sitedzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
chrisoncoffee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the responses. I'm gonna tackle this job today. One more question:
My FSM says I need to remove the shift motor for the 4wd but none of the write ups i've found mention this step. One of them suggested putting the truck in 4wd before jacking it up so as to keep the inner/outer axle shafts together. If I do that will I still need to remove the shift motor before reinstalling the axle shaft?

Thanks again for the responses.
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Slapahoe
Registered Jerk

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitedzn View Post
Yep, I call BS too.

I bought this: http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...-kit-4065.html

Then, spent about 2 hrs (first time replacing ball joints so I was worried about breaking something) and I was done.

BTW, I have TONS of HFT stuff and never had an issue with any of it. I had a 24" breaker bar, with a 5' steel pipe on it, to get the ball joints off. Impact wrench didn't have enough a$$ in it.
And best yet, if you break something of theirs, you can always bring it back and claim that it was faulty. They'll tell you to go grab another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisoncoffee View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I'm gonna tackle this job today. One more question:
My FSM says I need to remove the shift motor for the 4wd but none of the write ups i've found mention this step. One of them suggested putting the truck in 4wd before jacking it up so as to keep the inner/outer axle shafts together. If I do that will I still need to remove the shift motor before reinstalling the axle shaft?

Thanks again for the responses.
Not necessary. You should be able to pull the outer shaft out with out issue. You may have fluid leakage but I'd imagine your differential could possibly use a fluid change anyways.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.