D30 Axle Seal & Shaft Damage - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 Axle Seal & Shaft Damage

Halloween Savings to die for!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I'll put it this way, I wouldn't make a thread asking the question if I already knew I was going to do it the wrong way and after we all gave fairly sound advice but I digress........
You knew in the original Q I was going to do it the wrong way when I asked if there was a way to re-orient the seal or add a secondary seal to avoid the damaged area. Sorry if you're offended, we can't all be perfectionists.

brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentd711 View Post
You knew in the original Q I was going to do it the wrong way when I asked if there was a way to re-orient the seal or add a secondary seal to avoid the damaged area. Sorry if you're offended, we can't all be perfectionists.
No hard feelings at all. I'm not trying to sound like a d-bag though it may seem that way. I just didn't see the point of the thread.

Good luck selling the jeep.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you're not going to keep it and you're just rigging the thing to lay it off on someone else, there's no sense in asking those of us that have and would potentially buy yours. You, sir, are the dreaded PO we all speak of. If that's offensive, too bad.
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
If you're not going to keep it and you're just rigging the thing to lay it off on someone else, there's no sense in asking those of us that have and would potentially buy yours. You, sir, are the dreaded PO we all speak of. If that's offensive, too bad.
Re-read the original post.....

I'm going to drive the thing for at least another 5 months and probably put 800 miles a month on it. If it's "rigged" it should fail on me in a few weeks and I'll be finding another shaft. If I don't find another Jeep I could be driving it until next summer. You act like this is a BFing deal, all I did was create a smooth surface for the seal lip to ride on.
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is actually kinda funny. At first I thought it was a complete idiotic thing to do. But then I thought about it. If I had to do something of the sorts to get me to a payday so I could afford a proper fix then I would do this, or even add a sleeve and have a smaller seal inside it. But the thing that makes me worry the most and feel there should be an international report about your possible selling of the jeep, notifying any potential buyer of this job you did. Of course like you said you may end up fixing it right. But if you don't, you should tell the buyer what you have done. Hopefully you are decent enough to do so. All I know is that if I spent a possible two thousand or even more and find out this was done without telling me about it, there would be some smashed windows for sure. And one hell of a talk to the inspector and a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
All I know is that if I spent a possible two thousand or even more and find out this was done without telling me about it, there would be some smashed windows for sure. And one hell of a talk to the inspector and a lawyer.
Seriously? What the heck is up with you guys? You spend two grand on a 23 year old vehicle and you expect me to tell you that I filled a 1/8" deep groove in the shaft so the seal didn't pee a little oil out the tube four or five months before you bought it? And you would do physical damage if you got some oil on your tire and and had to spend $200 to fix it right? You're unhinged
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentd711

Seriously? What the heck is up with you guys? You spend two grand on a 23 year old vehicle and you expect me to tell you that I filled a 1/8" deep groove in the shaft so the seal didn't pee a little oil out the tube four or five months before you bought it? And you would do physical damage if you got some oil on your tire and and had to spend $200 to fix it right? You're unhinged
What's unhinged about honesty? I would have the decency to tell the buyer what I have done. All the way from the removed cat to the snapped bolts on the blower box. And it was a hyperbole. I wouldn't actually smash someone's windows. And I would be right chapped if I had to pull, buy, install and repair an axle from the JY. Just because someone jimmy rigged the seal. And didn't say anything because they wanted to screw me out of more money. I take long road trips to go camping, I go sometimes 4-5 hours non stop in the mountains, if I blew a seal, I'm screwed. That's all you are worried about and it's sickening, if you told the buyer you rigged that, they would tell you they aren't going to pay what you want, they will want the price minus the repair, and you know it. Jeepers these days. Ah well, what can ya do.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.