D30 & 35 regear or get Ford 8.8? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 & 35 regear or get Ford 8.8?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Sorcarms

D30 & 35 regear or get Ford 8.8?

Hey guys,
I'm back with yet another question. I am between getting a Ford 8.8 and going with 4.88 gears on that or just going 4.88 gears on the stock set-up. The issue is the limited budget. This is NOT a huge built rig, nor will it see a LOT of off-road time. The rest of this post are the things I've taken into consideration: I have me some great friends both in personality and in mechanical talent. That being said, I have help when I need it (and now you know this). Anyhow, I have a '94 2.5, manual. I bought it for $3,200 about a month ago now. It runs GREAT (thanks again to the friends AND the PO). It isn't my DD but I DO drive it 50% of the time. I haven't even started off-roading in it but it isn't my first YJ and probably won't be my last. It was purchased with a Pro Comp suspension lift and some 35" tires on it. No SYE yet.
I'm trying to keep this thing simple and fun. I'm in south Florida so I don't deal with hills, let alone mountains. The trails get soupy and wet and well what can I say? I'm from the swamps.
I don't have direct access to a welder at the moment. If I go 8.8 I won't be able to get the SYE. I won't be torturing this squeaky heep per se but when I play I tend to play hard. What I'm leaning toward is going 4.88 gears in the D30 and D35, getting a decent front locker and a SYE. Or dish out nearly $800 on just the 8.8 and then order the gears for that and the D30. Won't leave much for anything else. The pros of course being disc brakes out back, the obvious upgrade in rear end, and I won't feel like I was pushing it running 35s (which is how I feel now. Should I not?)
What would you do, gentlemen? You all that have a ton more experience and knowledge than this newbie.

Sorcarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Spending on anything beyond brake shoes for a D35 is money wasted.

Save some money and find a 4:10 geared D30 and a matching 8.8.

build for dependabilty first and mess with the gears later. You might put a locker in then too and can do both at once
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

build for dependabilty first and mess with the gears later. You might put a locker in then too and can do both at once
^^^This^^^

Ford Explorer axle code 42 = 4.10 open differential.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcarms View Post
Or dish out nearly $800 on just the 8.8 and then order the gears for that and the D30
around here you can pick up and 8.8 from any junk yard or even craigslist for $100-150.. thats horrible if theyre $800 where you are from. and check this out, a local shop here sells these 8.8 swap kits, they're awesome and take the guess work out of getting all the swap parts. ive used 3 of these kits from this place now and i highly recommend it http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/know-w...angler-yj.html
ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Sorcarms

Well, I meant $800 with the swap kit included amongst a few other things. I'd say they're $150-250 here as well. I guess if it's just not worth it I'll go 8.8 then. I found a great write-up on the swap so if I can get all the parts together and find a welder for a day I should be able to knock it out.
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
gorilla_skater
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just went through this recently. I bought a YJ last year stock D30/35 combo lifted on 35's. At first I was going to wheel it open/open, but after the first trip I knew I wanted to put in a rear locker. So I was faced with a ticking time bomb of a locked D35, or something else. I decided to go with an 8.8 with a mini spool.

You are running mud and sand, but still just a matter of time, especially with the stock axles. Also, putting in 4.88's in a D35 causes the ring gear to get thinner/weaker.
gorilla_skater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

He already has a 4.10 front axle.

Get a 8.8. Any 8.8. Regear it to 4.88 and throw it in as soon as you can. Grab another front axle and have it regeared to 4.88 to match. Sell your 4.10 axles to someone with a 4.0 and get some of your money back.
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I put my 8.8 in, with all new parts for ~ $700. And that was starting with a beat-up, rather expensive ($350) used 8.8.

I don't have a locker yet, but this is a rather cheap axle swap, should be a no-brainer.

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I did my 8.8 swap I was in it for about 1k I am now in mine for 1500 (axle,4.88s,spartan,open carier,the install kit,brake pads,rotors,riddler diffmcover,ultimate 8.8 kit chromo shafts) so it adds up once you start to build them, I still plan on throwing a arb in mine next year!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
Sorcarms

Thank you guys for all the input. Tomorrow morning I'm calling the junk yards for an 8.8. It'll take longer to build but hell it'll get built right. I was directed to the M.O.R.E. website for the kit, anyone recommend any other kit instead?
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcarms View Post
Thank you guys for all the input. Tomorrow morning I'm calling the junk yards for an 8.8. It'll take longer to build but hell it'll get built right. I was directed to the M.O.R.E. website for the kit, anyone recommend any other kit instead?
ruff stuff has a good kit and sometimes has a JF discount. Make sure to specify if it's spring over or under. (SOA or SUA)
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Sorcarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty

ruff stuff has a good kit and sometimes has a JF discount. Make sure to specify if it's spring over or under. (SOA or SUA)
I'll look into it, thanks
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you get a 4.11 Ford 8.8, it'll bolt right on. I paid $200 for mine up in the NW area, $140 for the Ruffstuff kit, $30 or so for the Yoke adapter, another $15 for a u-joint, gear oil, and pads/rotors. That'll be all you need.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
ZJOFFROAD93
1993 ZJ 

I got mine from tnt customs but i also trussed mine
ZJOFFROAD93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

East Coast Gear Supply is another source for the swap kit and also e-brake cables the correct length and with the proper cable ends to put an 8.8 in a YJ
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.