d30 -> 2001 explorer sport TRAC 8.8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > d30 -> 2001 explorer sport TRAC 8.8

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

d30 -> 2001 explorer sport TRAC 8.8

hey all,

so my dad found an 8.8 from a 2001 ford explorer sport trac at a local boneyard. he knew that i had been looking for one, so he bought it for me and called me all excited. i wasn't sure if a sport TRAC 8.8 is the same as the explorer 8.8.

I'm at work and did a quick search, but didn't reach a quick conclusion. some of the sites say that the sport trac's rear was 28 spline, others say 31. he told me that it had disc brakes and by all accounts that means it should be a 31 spline, correct? (https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...01/expstcd.pdf - about half way down it shows axle specs and lists it as 31 spline).

Other than splines, is there a difference between the explorer and the sport trac rear (length, diameter, etc). I just want to make sure this is the right thing, since my dad is several miles from me, id hate for us to get together only to find out this isn't right. it'd be easier for him to get his money back if its not right. oh, gear ratio is 3.73 by all accounts, which i plan to regear to 4.56 anyway.

thanks all!

jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Axle tube diameter is different (~1/4" smaller) according to the link you posted.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
aztec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have a question that pertains to 8.8's.

so i finally have enough money to do the swap and was calling local junkyards and they asked me, 'is it 4x4 or not?' my quesion is: does it even matter?? is there such a thing as a 4WD 8.8 and a 2WD 8.8 other than that guy trying to charge me more money for the same thing?
aztec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

As long as it came from an Explorer (not Sport Trac) the axle itself is basically all the same with the exception of brakes ('91 - '94 = drums, '95 - '01 = discs) and the attached optional sway stuff between models.

So the important stuff (tubes, width, wheel bolt pattern, axle spline count (they are ALL 31 splines if it came from an Explorer) carrier spline count) inside is all the same.

2wd & 4wd doesn't come into play as far as internal strength.
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
aztec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thank you.
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec
i have a question that pertains to 8.8's.

so i finally have enough money to do the swap and was calling local junkyards and they asked me, 'is it 4x4 or not?' my quesion is: does it even matter?? is there such a thing as a 4WD 8.8 and a 2WD 8.8 other than that guy trying to charge me more money for the same thing?
There isn't a difference. Just make sure it's from an explorer and NOT an explorer SPORT TRAC. Apparently (from the best i can gather), they are different in some ways. It is also worth noting that it doesn't matter if the explorer is a 6 cyl or 8 cyl. Heck, even gear ratios don't matter, if you're planning a regear, like me (4.56). Don't pay a premium because it's "4x4".

On that note, I called the boneyard. They confirmed that he bought the 8.8 from a 2001 explorer SPORT, not a sport trac, so I'm golden . I can rest easy now!
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! Looks like it should workout just fine.
Unread 10-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
aztec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

right on! thanks for the advise and good luck on your build.
Unread 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The Ford 8.8 came on Crown Vics, Mustangs, E-150 Vans, F-150 pick ups and many things in-between. Ford got good use out of the 8.8 for sure.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The good news is that almost all the Explorer Sport seem to have 4:10 gears.

If it's from a sport trak it is almost certainly NOT a 31 spline axle. The sport trak is built off a ranger pickup base and only a very, very small number have the "good" 8.8
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
The good news is that almost all the Explorer Sport seem to have 4:10 gears.

If it's from a sport trak it is almost certainly NOT a 31 spline axle. The sport trak is built off a ranger pickup base and only a very, very small number have the "good" 8.8
Yeah, I was panicking there for a little bit because I could've sworn he said it was a sport trac. I called the yard and they said it was from an explorer sport, which made me feel MUCH better.

I know that a sport trac made after aug 02 - 05 has the 31 spline 8.8, from what I read. Another article I read said anything before that was 27 spline (ford ranger series). That would've been bad. I'm sure my dad could've taken it back, but that's a lot of hassle...

I still piecing together everything I need for the swap. I'm just excited to have the actual axle . As far as I know, it has 3.73 gears in it, but I plan to put 4.56s in anyway. Overall, my 8.8 project is going to be higher than originally planned, but I did get a great deal on the axle, so that levels it out some...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.