D.U.I. HEI Install Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D.U.I. HEI Install Problems

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

D.U.I. HEI Install Problems

87 258, Nuttered, TBI'd.

Installed the DUI, hooked positive direct to battery post, 12.4v at the distributor. Cranked the engine, fired right up, ran smooth for about 5 seconds, started smelling frying electronics. Killed the engine, now there is no spark.

Is there any idea on what burned up? We are all guessing that the coil in the HEI is what got fried. I'm hoping I can just hit NAPA in the morning and get a new one, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Unread 04-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Napa will have a new coil. Don't know what or why anything would've fried though.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Turns out its a fuel issue. What wire from the OEM ignition module do I need to supply power to so my fuel pump will run?
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't remember what wire it is and didn't realize you had a Howell setup. Check out their website, they have the install instructions right there, that should help with the troubleshooting.
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Another question, what all can I remove from the OEM Duraspark ignition wiring when swapping to an HEI? Module is a no brainer on the removal. I obviously did not research this project enough prior to ordering. Don't normally do that.
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Helps if I look through some of JeepHammers unbelievably awesome posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
You can control the "Low Current" switching to the relay, which is what you see above.
The Ignition switch controls the HEI relay low voltage trigger power,

Unread 04-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilfieldCowboy View Post
Another question, what all can I remove from the OEM Duraspark ignition wiring when swapping to an HEI? Module is a no brainer on the removal. I obviously did not research this project enough prior to ordering. Don't normally do that.
I run a relay to mine like the above pic. As for the ignition wiring,,,,, the only thing I left was the 12v signal that I ran to the relay. Otherwise everything (other than tach) that was part of the original system was cut out and removed.
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Found this in the CJ forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Since you've removed the original ignition those "purple wire" instructions aren't applicable any longer. All that you have to do is connect the white wire that, IIRC, goes to the negative post of the coil to the "TACH" terminal on your distributor. Ignore the stuff about the purple wire and the splices.
Connected the white wire with the TACH post on the distributor and it fired up on the second crank. Don't have a functional tach at the moment, but at least its running and I can try and get my timing half way sorted out until I can get the tach working.
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

just checked my 87. the tach is the green wire with white stripe.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
just checked my 87. the tach is the green wire with white stripe.

I'll splice that one in later today and see if it will get the tach up and functional before attempting anything with the timing.
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Green w/ white trace is wired into the tach output, I now have a solid RPM reading on the gauge.
Relay is wired up as per the schematic above, new issue; the sunovabich diesels when the key is turned off! So bad I've had to put it in first and dump the clutch to finally kill it. Wondering if this isn't an issue with the Howell ECM now...
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What's your timing at now?
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Haven't even got that far as I pulled the jeep out of the garage to let it get to operating temp, and thats when I noticed the dieseling. Could that be timing related? Planning on setting it around 7*BTDC.
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is it starting ok hot?

I ask because I had a problem with my Howell though with a Duraspark. The timing retard wire was not hooked up and it was troublesome starting warm.. flooding and other issues. Worked much better when I fixed that. My understanding is that the HEI does not have a timing retard at all so it would seem to have a similar problem?

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.