D.u.i. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D.u.i.

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 12-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
jason0heman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

D.u.i.

Convince me to get a dui haha

yeah so currently have the Team Rush upgrade with MSD Blaster 3 coil, Clifford header and intake, Holley 390 carb, custom exhaust...

Just wondering if anyone has really experienced that much of an increase going from team rush to dui setup...

Any insight is very much appreciative.

jason0heman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
jason0heman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone? I'm sure someone out there has done the upgrade from team rush to dui ignition...
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have many reasons why you shouldn't
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/igniti...EIcompair.html

There is more power lurking just install a 1981 pre smog dizzy from a CJ
. One thing the nutter bypass doesn’t address is the need to change your distributor to a pre-smog item like the 1981 Jeep used. Sure your Jeep will run without changing your dizzy but you are leaving a lot on the table if you don’t change it. Here is where I got my information http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wo...w-tune-973904/
And this is the part I ordered http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPTUNEAMS____#
I found that before the swap my stroker motor was rather lazy and didn’t live up to my expectations, sure it ran and had reasonable power but I thought is was lacking some will to live. After the swap now the motor is eager to please and will even lay down 2 12” wide black stripes if I choose to be generous with the stupid pedal. I will say to anyone that has nuttered the engine that they are missing out if they don’t finish the job and install a pre-smog dizzy.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

you do know that "junkyard genius" sells distributors and that article is more than a little biased. this has been discused here many times, both setups are a very good replacement for the stock dizzy. if the OP decides to go with HEI be sure to get a top brand like CRT, I have one thats been performing flawlessly for over 30,000 miles.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have seen 2 engines that detonated to death due to too much advance from a HEI unit. They may sell dizzy's but that does not detract from the technical problems the HEI units cause.

Dwayne
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
jason0heman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I read the article by junkyardgenius previously which is why I am wondering if it is actually worth it

Some say they have seen an incredible increase with the DUI versus the Team Rush, but my theory is that is another 5,000 volts really going to make a difference?

The MSD Blaster pumps out 45,000 volts right?

DUI says 50,000...Idk but I don't want to blow my engine or anything with it ya know
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
jason0heman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.7stroker, that link you sent for advance auto website is definitely a pre1981 dizzy for the 258? Just double checking...thanks guys.
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It is the one I ordered and the one I got was pre smog.

Dwayne

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.