D ring falling off - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D ring falling off

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
mshows577
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
I use a crescent wrench on them to tighten the pin up very snug. never lost them yet, and not likely to be stolen unless they have a bigger wrench than mine.. I keep a spare in the box and use that to secure any straps etc to the mounted ones.
i tried my small one and it didnt do too much. maybe i should do like u did and get a really big one. my tool department is pretty small right now with me being in college. and the fact that spending all summer under my jeep doing tons of stuff to it has caused my ok tool collection to become a "half my crap is broken" collection lol

mshows577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshows577 View Post
potential death missle? i have a 6000 pound strap and the hook is rated at least twice that. and the hook sets to the d ring. which is also rated at way more than 6000 lb
They are generally weaker than shackles, unless you have one BFhook...

But the risk if there is any shock loading or bounce / snap, the hook can "unhook" and SNAP.

No hooks!!!
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i tried my small one and it didnt do too much. maybe i should do like u did and get a really big one. my tool department is pretty small right now with me being in college. and the fact that spending all summer under my jeep doing tons of stuff to it has caused my ok tool collection to become a "half my crap is broken" collection lol
I have a 12" wrench, roll the shackle till the body is against the bumper as you tighten it and then reef on the pin with the wrench!
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
mshows577
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They are generally weaker than shackles, unless you have one BFhook...

But the risk if there is any shock loading or bounce / snap, the hook can "unhook" and SNAP.

No hooks!!!
u make a really good point. i have used it several times. cause yes i do have a pretty dang big hook lol. but in the future ill make sure to take a look at the way i set things up to make sure i dont send a hook flying. i can see how one false setup could do some serious damage.
mshows577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #20
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I have a 12" wrench, roll the shackle till the body is against the bumper as you tighten it and then reef on the pin with the wrench!
This is the way I would be doing them. Uber tight on the road, then loosen them on the trail in case they are needed.

I got sick of people messing with mine, so I keep them inside for the most part.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You guys are forgetting, their main purpose is to look cool. Taking them off kind of defeats that goal, no?
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
potential death missle? i have a 6000 pound strap and the hook is rated at least twice that. and the hook sets to the d ring. which is also rated at way more than 6000 lb
If you yank a mud-stuck 3500# truck, you're load can climb very high, very quick.

You should always have some dead weight on the line anyway...

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #23
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just tighten mine up with a wrench, no issues as of yet...just make sure you keep a wrench handy in the Jeep, otherwise you may run into some problems trying to use them on the trail.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I do what NHfireYJ does, just tighten them down tight with a wrench and no problem. Recovery straps with a hook are not considered as safe as those with a loop through a D-ring, don't ask me why. Many jeep clubs will not allow straps with hooks on their organized trips.
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have these, tow hooks from a chevy/gmc truck. The holes line right up with the existing hook mounting holes on a YJ. Just need to drill them out larger because they are threaded. ez on, ez off for tow straps.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72
I do what NHfireYJ does, just tighten them down tight with a wrench and no problem. Recovery straps with a hook are not considered as safe as those with a loop through a D-ring, don't ask me why. Many jeep clubs will not allow straps with hooks on their organized trips.
X2 the one in Edmonton won't let you ride if you have a strap with a hook. No hooks! They are missiles waiting to fly.
Original question. I just reefed mine on by hand and they haven't budged. But if they did, I'd use wire or end up tacking a small chain on both pieces then to the mount. Only if I got bored though. It happens lots lol.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post

X2 the one in Edmonton won't let you ride if you have a strap with a hook. No hooks! They are missiles waiting to fly.
Original question. I just reefed mine on by hand and they haven't budged. But if they did, I'd use wire or end up tacking a small chain on both pieces then to the mount. Only if I got bored though. It happens lots lol.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
Here is a great video to show why tow hook straps are bad. Go about a third of the way and you will see them go through the back window and end up between the passenger and the driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAY0...e_gdata_player

Use a wrench you will be good.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #28
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like the twist tie idea, but after the first time I lost a D-ring, I bought another and just used spray paint. Its not as permanent as locktight and accomplishes the same goal. Spray the bolt threads and the receiver threads then install. when the paint dries, it doesn't loosen.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #29
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Why dont you just wrap the threads in electrical tape or possibly some teflon tape? That should help provide enough friction on the threads so that it will not back out. I used electrical tape on the non threaded part to keep them from rattling and it worked like a charm.
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #30
69moparman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I keep mine on because it looks cool. But I keep the bolt eyes toward the inside of the Jeep and put a bungie cord between them, with the bungie hooks in the holes in the bolts. Keeps them from rattling and unscrewing.
69moparman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.