D-30 axle shaft removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D-30 axle shaft removal

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
dante2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

D-30 axle shaft removal

How do you get the axle shafts out when you are just working on the axle (just axles and frame)? I have everything off (caliper and 3 wheel bearing bolts) and they won't budge. Did I miss something somewhere?

Unread 10-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

The hub bearingis normally in there very tight. I put PB Blaster around the edge of the hub, then i take and put one of the bolts back in and put a socket on it and smack it a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRm4_MJFRnc
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...f-axle-200108/
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can do like Jeepsr4me said and thread one of the bolts back in most of the way, put a deepwell socket on the bolt head (one that you don't mind getting dented up) and use your power steering to pop it loose.

Edit: or you can use the axle shaft ears as shown here http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unit...tbearing-1.htm

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
dante2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Socket with an extension on it did it. Took some banging to get them to move but they are out now. I can see where this would be so much easier on the jeep. Would it hurt any to sand off the rust inside the knuckle and on the hub before putting them back together? Thanks for the quick responses guys.
Unread 10-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Jeepsr4me

Will not hurt a thing to sand off that rust. I put a coating of anti-seize around it when installing.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.