Cylinders dropping out on highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cylinders dropping out on highway

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Airjordan01
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cylinders dropping out on highway

Hi guys! I just bought this 92 yj. Guy before me had it 19 years well maintained. He told me when I bought it that it needed a computer. That he had replaced a bunch of parts and gave up. I bought the computer truck ran much better as it was having problems starting and I had previously had to do the key trick when it acted up. So now at one problem seems fixed I have come across another. When driving typically on the highway but not always its as if all cylinders drop out. Either from fuel or spark. These parts were replaced right before I bought it. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, crankshaft sensor. I have replaced the computer and the tips. Problem still persists! Again truck will completely cut out for a split second then continue on driving. I'm in need of answers. Thanks!

Airjordan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I won't be much help but I would bet its spark. If the fuel is cutting out I'd think it would at least stumble a little before cutting out completely.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Airjordan01
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I'm going to look into the stator/camshaft sensor inside the distributor. Not sure if that was changed out. Cap wires rotor and plug definitely are new. This is a nightmare. I have no codes either or check engine light.
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Airjordan01
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bump! Come on guys I need some creative ideas!
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do your gauges cut out when the engine cuts out? If so, I would look deeper into the computer. If not, I agree this is probably a spark issue. I would look at your coil first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Airjordan01
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Gushes

I'm pretty sure the only Guatemala that affected is the rpm. It drops a little and jumps right back up. Do you mean all gauges? It is a brand new reman computer.
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes all gauges. I have a buddy with a 2000 ZJ that had similar issues. He had his computer rebuilt and still had issues. I convinced him to buy a new computer and have it flashed. It cleared up his issues. His issue involved gauges dropping out every time it happened. It does not sound like you are having similar issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
Mean Max created Chuck Norris with some spare parts, two trac bars and some differential fluid.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.