CV Drive Shaft Length for 2.5" Lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CV Drive Shaft Length for 2.5" Lift?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

CV Drive Shaft Length for 2.5" Lift?

OK I am in the midst of deciding whether or not to pull the plug on a SYE and Drive shaft. The problem is all I have right now is a rolling chassis with a new 2" BDS Lift and 1/2" Boom Shackles and no real weight on the Chassis to get an accurate measurement of Drive shaft Length which all mfg's seem to need?
How critical is this measurement I thought that the CV drive shafts had a slip yoke on the shaft, are this designed to that close of a tolerance? Even after I get the tub and Engine mounted there will be some settling over time as the new springs break in right? So won't that further change the length?
Sorry for rambling, but why would not any YJ with a total of 2.5" of suspension lift take the same length Drive shaft?
Thanks for any input, Jim

1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

First off, you really should be able to get by without a SYE or a TC drop with a 2.5 inch lift. But that aside, you really need to wait till all the weight is on it to measure. If you cant wait, call Tom Woods Driveshafts, Tom Woods will answer and tell him what you are doing. He will be able to sell or tell you what you need based on his knowledge and experience building thousands of shafts for Jeeps, even if you dont buy from him. Same for any other reputable shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^^ what he said.... wait till its done to measure, but you really wont need one

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Almost a jeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For what it's worth...... adamsdriveshaft.com, where I got mine, keeps a list of every vehicle that he makes a shaft for. I was able to give him the year and make, make and height of lift and trans (auto or manual) and which rear end you have, and he just pulled up what length that he has made for others. His product worked great for me.
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost a jeep View Post
For what it's worth...... adamsdriveshaft.com, where I got mine, keeps a list of every vehicle that he makes a shaft for. I was able to give him the year and make, make and height of lift and trans (auto or manual) and which rear end you have, and he just pulled up what length that he has made for others. His product worked great for me.
Good to hear about other good vendors. Tom Woods is hardly the only one out there, Hes just a damn good one. I had just bought a front driveshaft and some***hat hit me and shoved the shaft through the trans case, literally. I called up Tom Woods just to get another one, even had insurance money and he tried not to charge me saying it shouldn't of bent, LOL. He will always get a shout out from me for that kind of customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well my concern is that as it sits right now the Rear drive shaft I have only contacts the splines by like 1/2", hence my concerns. I realize the with weight on it it will be better, but I figured that if I was going to do it now is the best time before I mount anything else on, or fill with fluids. Are there different length "stock drive shafts out of curiosity? The one I have was thrown in when I picked up the axles not sure what year it came off of? Thanks again for the info.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cv drive shaft , cv driveshaft

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.