CV or 1310U-joint SYE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CV or 1310U-joint SYE

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-24-2001, 01:43 PM   #1
jobob

CV or 1310U-joint SYE

Is there any major difference, performance wise, between a cv sye and an sye using 1310 ujoint? I am planning on the RE 4.5 extreme lift on my 90 yj and just haven't decided which sye kit to buy. Would it be easier to cut and tap the existing shaft, as with the RE sye, or just replace the shaft all together as with the more expensive kits? I just worry about opening up the t-case. I feel pretty comfortable doing some mechanical work, but am far from a pro. Any info would be appreciated.
jobob

Unread 05-25-2001, 12:56 PM   #2
rayray

I just finished scanning some pics of the work I did on mine. I'll post them later today to give you an idea of what the job is like.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2001, 11:10 PM   #3
wilhelm

jobob,
I did a M.I.T. sye kit on my 87 YJ about 5 years ago . I was kind of scared at first but went ahead any way. The only problem I ran in to was a socket big enough for the T-case drain plug and the need of good snap ring pliers.The inside of the case is not complicated at all , so if you have some mechanical ability you shouldn't have a problem. I'd go with a kit that replaces the shaft because you won't have to bother with cutting and tapping your old shaft'( besides; a new shaft may be stronger ). p.s. I am far from a professional.
wilhelm nj.....
wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2001, 01:13 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by jobob:
Is there any major difference, performance wise, between a cv sye and an sye using 1310 ujoint? I am planning on the RE 4.5 extreme lift on my 90 yj and just haven't decided which sye kit to buy. Would it be easier to cut and tap the existing shaft, as with the RE sye, or just replace the shaft all together as with the more expensive kits? I just worry about opening up the t-case. I feel pretty comfortable doing some mechanical work, but am far from a pro. Any info would be appreciated.
jobob
There's definately a huge gain in using a CV over just a straight u-joint shaft. The CV is what allows the more extreme angles on the driveshaft. There really isn't much point in putting in an SYE if you're not going to use CV shaft. The only thing the SYE will do for you in that case is allow you to disconnect the rear driveshaft without spewing your tcase fluid.

There are big differences in the SYE kits. The "hack and tap" kit from RE is no worse than the Currie kit. Same thing, except Currie does the hacking and tapping and gives you a better bearing on the rear output. But you still are left with only 1" of splines on the rear shaft.

The JB Conversions kit (there are others with a different name) supply a new 241 shaft. This is the strongest SYE you can buy.

The MIT kit cuts the shaft down, builds up the around the spline area, resplines the shaft and rehardens the shaft. This kit also nets the longest driveshaft.

I ran the MIT kit for 5 years with any problems at all. When I bought it, it was the only SYE kit. It too has made it's way into my son's Jeep now. So it's still chugging away.

The MIT kit would be my second choice if I were buying one today. You just can't beat the strength of the 241 shaft kits. I'd guess the 241 kits and the MIT kit are about the same price too.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.