Cutting front fender? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cutting front fender?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey so I've been very unhappy with the look of my YJ lately. A while back I picked up a set of xenon 6" flat flares which i loved. Until I picked up a smittybilt stubby stinger bumper. Now between the stubby bumper, the bulky YJ fenders and the 6" flares it looks like my jeep has wings. I was going to purchase tube fenders but figured I would try and go the cheaper route by cutting my stock fenders. I'm a little nervous about this. Just wondering how u guys went about doing this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

My jeep
image-12858699.jpg

I kinda like what this guy did

image-2615677685.jpg

SurferJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Flares off. Done. Never understood cutting the leading edge for "clearance."
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis
Flares off. Done. Never understood cutting the leading edge for "clearance."
I don't like the way it looks with just the flares off. I drove around flareless for a while between OEM flares and the flats. I'm getting 3" tubes for the rear.
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There was a good thread on it and I seem to have lost it
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Found it

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...nders-1087408/
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks.... im gonna cut them eventually... probably wont get to it this week, maybe i will idk. eventually i go with tube fenders but i'll cut them for now
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

after i cut them eventually down the road i think i'll go this route.
http://www.ccfabs.com/store/#!/~/pro...=0&id=24092344
Unread 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What do you guys use to get the black rubber trim so it's not just a sharp edge. I was thinking a small vac line sliced down one side. Or is there a black trim u guys buy?
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if you can even buy it anymore but the auto parts stores used to have a door trim kit.
Something like this.
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...door-trim.html
Unread 09-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you intend on adding tube fenders later be careful not to cut too much. You will need a bit of fender to bolt the tube fenders on to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've actually folded over the metal lip of the fender and warped the top flat part of the stock fenders on 33's with OME springs. metal cloaks are too $$$ and look silly with 33s, the other 'flat' fenders mostly look ridiculous to me, I don't know. hi-lining is too much work. I'll probably just keep beating the stock fenders until they fall off.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
SurferJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Not sure if you can even buy it anymore but the auto parts stores used to have a door trim kit.
Something like this.
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...door-trim.html
thanks ive seen some door trim on ebay just cant get a good look at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
If you intend on adding tube fenders later be careful not to cut too much. You will need a bit of fender to bolt the tube fenders on to.
good advice thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
I've actually folded over the metal lip of the fender and warped the top flat part of the stock fenders on 33's with OME springs. metal cloaks are too $$$ and look silly with 33s, the other 'flat' fenders mostly look ridiculous to me, I don't know. hi-lining is too much work. I'll probably just keep beating the stock fenders until they fall off.
i might keep my stock fenders cut for a long time. if i do upgrade to tube fenders it wont be metalcloaks. as much as i like them im gonna go with smittybilt tubes with 3" flare. right now i have smittybilt front and rear bumpers as well as rocker armor. im planning on buying a set of 3" rear tube flares from smitty as well

thanks all for the advice. anyone have pics and a specific link to something they used to cover the edges of the cut fender?
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Lostfedexman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had rust holes through my fenders so I just decided to cut it out by cutting the fenders off, and I ended up liking the look. Still not done with it, I'll be adding tubes. Just need the time to bend and weld it.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #4267
Lostfedexman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.